Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After changing oil in many vehicles over the past 50 years I'm a bit embarrassed to pose this question. Last week I did my second oil and filter change on my 2015 S 2.5L M5, and contrary to the first time I used 5 qts. rather than the prescribed 4.75 qts., thinking 4 oz. wouldn't matter. After driving the truck for a few days I noticed a small puddle of oil on my garage floor under the drain plug. I didn't torque the plug during the change but checked and found it tight. The area around the plug and the cross-member behind it was wet with oil, but no oil above that level including around the filter. Checked the level and it was at the full mark.

After wiping the oil away I drove it 15 miles and noticed no leaks. Several days later after sitting in the garage and still no leaks. I didn't recall seeing a washer during the change so I checked and see what looks to be a copper washer on the plug (see photo).

Could overfilling have caused the leak? I can't imagine 4 oz. causing a pressure increase in the sump, but can't otherwise figure out a cause. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
Maybe the drip was from the filter change and not the drain bolt.
I never replace the crush washer even though I have free bags of them from the dealer and never a leak and my records show I did 39 oil changes on my last Frontier alone. If I was dripping the garage or driveway would be spotted.
There is no way a 4 oz. overfill will leave the engine.

Clint

1 - 3 of 3 Posts