Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Frontier 2.4L and the temperature Gauge is not working. Hoping I can get some good advice on what to do next.

I double checked the connections on the temperature switch and coolant sensor. I removed the Temperature switch connection and got continuity on the connector and the bit of exposed wire before the plug. I found a fuse inside the connector and with continuity going through it, that connection should be good. I also replaced the temperature switch just in case and still get no reading. I tried grounding the connector with a piece of 18awg wire and the gauge did not move at all. Is there any possible fix that does not involve the instrument cluster? Not sure if replacing the thermostat would do anything. Since I tried grounding and still got no reading it should be the connection to the cluster.

Any info would be appreciated.

Adam

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Replacing the thermostat will not fix an electrical problem with the gauge. When you disconnected the wire from the temp sensor and grounded it, the coolant gauge needle should have slowly moved to the full hot position when the ignition key was turned to the "on" position. If it didn't, then the cluster is faulty OR there is an open in the wire between the cluster and the temp sensor harness connector. Next step would be to remove cluster and check the wire using an ohmmeter or continuity tester to make sure the circuit if good. If the circuit is good, then the cluster (integrated meter assembly) must be sent out for repair or replaced. Since there are several different clusters and there have been a lot of problems with them, your best bet would be to have your original cluster repaired. There are a number of companies that do this. Circuit Board Medics and Mr. Whizard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The FSM on my 2000 shows how to put the cluster in diagnosis mode. I'm guessing your 2002 would have the same function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? You tried this procedure and nothing happened at all? Or in what other way didn't it work for you?
I was doing it wrong, I had the key turned before I started. I tried it again this morning and got into diagnosis mode. The temperature gauge did not move at all. I guess the problem is in the cluster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were to buy a used Instrument cluster on ebay, would I just be able to swap them out or is it tied into the ECU somehow?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
If my memory is correct, you can just swap them out. However, the odometer mileage is stored on a chip inside the cluster, so, your replacement cluster will show the mileage of the vehicle it came out of, not your vehicle's mileage. There were 18 different cluster assemblies available for 2002 Frontier's. This cuts down to 5 part numbers for 4-cyl. models and some of those are supercession numbers. I think the difference will be tachometer vs. no-tachometer, but it doesn't specify in the part catalog if this is the difference. There is a possibility that it is available from Nissan, as they still show a price ($190 online), but also note low quantity. Because there were so many of these clusters that had problems, I still think the best option is to send the original cluster out for repair. This way you know you have the correct part and you'll have the correct mileage.

Reactions: wal92tt
1 - 8 of 8 Posts