Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2006 frontier has both of these gauges are they real gauges or just glorified idiot lights? mine both read dead center just lie my 96 ranger did and they were glorified idiot lights.::smile::

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
depends on when your truck was built. 2006 sometime they made the oil gauge a dummy gauge.
the temp gauge i believe works with temps and not just positions, hmmm maybe im wrong im not 100% on that.

either way they are both pretty dummy since you dont know numerically where they are.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Does your oil gauge read high when you first start it? The reason I am asking is my aftermarket oil pressure gauge reads high when I first started it. I was somewhat concern till I read in my manual that this was normal.
Also I changed the sensor for the water temp but it affected the computer. Had to do it another way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Does your oil gauge read high when you first start it? The reason I am asking is my aftermarket oil pressure gauge reads high when I first started it. I was somewhat concern till I read in my manual that this was normal.
Also I changed the sensor for the water temp but it affected the computer. Had to do it another way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
From what I remember, only 2005 and maybe early 2006 had a real oil pressure gauge. The temp gauges are real as well.

I have a 2005 Frontier and the oil gauge moves as oil pressure changes. I also have a 2006 Xterra and the oil pressure gauge is a dummy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oil pressure will be higher at startup since it hasn't warmed up and is more viscous as result

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
since it looks like my two gauges are glorified idiot lights is there any way to make them real gauges short of aftermarket.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The manufacturers decided that we don't need to see minor fluctuations in these systems, just a general
idea of when it's in a safe range.

I think "Idiot Light" might have come from all the idiots running to the dealership demanding a new
engine because they saw their O/P or W/T gauge fluctuate a 1/2 pound or degree. :)

So, yeah, you'll have to go aftermarket. I've been considering getting a couple upper dash mounted gauges
myself, more because I'm nosey that I need them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts