Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Tekton Torque Wrench Opinions

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  IAm_Not_Lost 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am looking to start doing some of my own maintenance on my 2010 Frontier to save some money and just learn a little more. I know for the basic maintenance like fluid changes a torque wrench is going to be needed for the drain plugs. I was looking at the Tekton 10-80 lb ft 3/8 (I have 3/8 sockets already). They seem to have great reviews and I’m not looking for something to use every day. Has anybody had any positive or negative experiences with this brand? The last thing I want to do is snap a drain plug bolt...

#2 ·
It should be fine. I use the cheapy harborfreight torque wrenches and haven't had a problem yet. Main thing to remember when using them is to set wrench back to 0 before storing.

If you were building engines with aluminum heads and blocks then i would say get a more well known brand, but for occasional maintenance it will work.

#7 ·
I use the cheapy harborfreight torque wrenches and haven't had a problem yet.
Same. Well, it's my secondary torque wrench I keep in the truck, but it clicks at exactly the same time as my old-SnapOn-designed Kobalt torque wrench.

(Before anyone runs out to Lowe's, the new Kobalt torque wrenches are made in China and I'm not sure where the design is from. My Kobalt torque wrench is a replica of an older SnapOn, and just like the SnapOn, is made in USA and came with a certificate of calibration).

The HF torque wrench is on the shorter side for a 1/2" drive, so you gotta give it some more umph to tighten anything to it's 150 ft/lb maximum. They frequently have coupons to pick it up for $10, which is when I got one to keep in the truck.

I have a 1/4" drive Tekton that is 0-200in/lbs and built an engine with it. Engine hasn't exploded (yet), so I'm assuming that the torque wrench is good.

#3 ·
Tecton has good reviews. Youtuber DenOfTools did a review of their products and mfr facility. I'd trust it

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have 2 Tekton torque wrenches (the smaller one and the 250# one) and they're great. No issues.

#6 ·
I was looking at the Tekton 10-80 lb ft 3/8 (I have 3/8 sockets already)
I got the one you are looking at about 2 months ago. I no complaints... It's a great torque wrench that is very reasonably priced and good quality in my opinion. Mine came in a red plastic case. I was tempted to get their 3 piece set # TRQ99901, but then decided to just start with the one.

#8 ·
Been using Tekton in my home garage for a few years now (torque wrenches, box wrenches, socket sets, screwdrivers) for use on my truck and my bikes... very excellent quality tools at reasonable prices (meaning: not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but completely worth the price). They're a USA-based brand and are nice people to talk to (I contacted them before with some product questions). I haven't had any problems with any of my Tekton-branded tools, I'd recommend them to anyone that asks (y)

#10 ·
I have four of the Harbor Freight ones, 3 different sizes. Like them.

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown
#11 ·
I have the Tekton 10-150lb torque wrench and it works fine. I also have their smaller inch-lb wrench (I cant remember it’s exact range) and that one seems well built as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.