Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased and installed a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (9030C) in my 2018 Frontier. When the trailer is connected, the controller light goes from green to red when I step on the brakes of my tow vehicle. The light also is responsive to both the controller and gain adjustment knobs. However, when I move the manual override lever, the light stays green even if I have the controller and gain knobs turned all the way up.

Would that be an indication that the manual override lever is not operating the brakes on the trailer? If so, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased and installed a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (9030C) in my 2018 Frontier. When the trailer is connected, the controller light goes from green to red when I step on the brakes of my tow vehicle. The light also is responsive to both the controller and gain adjustment knobs. However, when I move the manual override lever, the light stays green even if I have the controller and gain knobs turned all the way up.

Would that be an indication that the manual override lever is not operating the brakes on the trailer? If so, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
If I turn my gain all the way up and push the override, my trailer brakes will lock up, my Tekonsha controller is a different model than yours, mine has three settings for type and weight of trailer and also a digital display from 0 to 9.0 for percentage of brake force....

·
Registered
4,583 Posts

Take a DVOM and probe the trailer brake pin at the connector while a helper steps on the pedal and / or operates override. In override mode, you should see close to 12 - 12.7v at the brake pin, and a varying voltage when in auto mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. By way of an update, after speaking with a tech from Tekonsha, he thinks it might be a faulty controller. He's sending out a replacement. He asked if I heard a faint 'click' when engaging the lever from right to left. When I told him no, that's when he concluded that something may be faulty with the lever or controller. After receiving the replacement, I'll be sending in the original for them to test it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had one of those cheapo controllers at one time. The over ride lever just did about nothing that I could tell. Maybe mine was faulty too. I thought that it was only supposed to brake a little bit, to control trailer sway, and not really be a primary braking control. Probably not good to have the ability for driver or passenger to reach over and lock the trailer brakes up
I have the $200 proportional controller now and am very happy that I do, towing is so much better now. Was worth the $200 on the very first trip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The replacement controller definitely has the faint "click" sound when engaging the over ride lever. When fully engaged, it doesn't lock up the brakes, but you can tell that it does employ the trailer brakes, which should help control sway should I ever need that. While comparatively inexpensive, it seems to work just fine. I didn't need the ability to program it for multiple settings. It suits my current situation well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts