Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Frontier SV CC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been contemplating to add some multi-use lights to the bottom of the truck. These are LED strips that can be either yellow (in either park lights or sequential turn signals) or white (as poodle/door lights), the link is below.
I have not installed them because I have been thinking about where to get the signal for the different modes. I can pull the turn signals from either the back of the truck or the front (headlights area), the parking lights I guess the same route, and as for the door, I was going to wire these to the cargo light (which turns on when I open the door or remotely unlock the truck.
70in Lights
Then I found this:

It will allow me to tap into the turn signals, brake light (for a different project), and will already be outside and below the truck, with no splicing to the factory cable required.
I think this is the route I will go - does anyone have any experience with these, or can foresee any issue I have not considered?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Well, I have been contemplating to add some multi-use lights to the bottom of the truck. These are LED strips that can be either yellow (in either park lights or sequential turn signals) or white (as poodle/door lights), the link is below.
I have not installed them because I have been thinking about where to get the signal for the different modes. I can pull the turn signals from either the back of the truck or the front (headlights area), the parking lights I guess the same route, and as for the door, I was going to wire these to the cargo light (which turns on when I open the door or remotely unlock the truck.
70in Lights
Then I found this:

View attachment 333976

It will allow me to tap into the turn signals, brake light (for a different project), and will already be outside and below the truck, with no splicing to the factory cable required.
I think this is the route I will go - does anyone have any experience with these, or can foresee any issue I have not considered?
This appears to be a GEN I Frontier so it may or may not be plug-n-plug from the socket type / style standpoint. Also you won't get cargo / dome lights from this plug. Other than that, should work. What about just the standard GEN II 4-pin trailer harness that connects to the factory provided dead-headed harness on the frame near the spare-tire? That's a WeatherPack style water resistant connector and provides brakes, turn signals and running lamps. If you T off the 4-pin, you can tow a trailer and connect your project lamps simultaneously.

·
Registered
2015 Frontier SV CC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This appears to be a GEN I Frontier so it may or may not be plug-n-plug from the socket type / style standpoint. Also you won't get cargo / dome lights from this plug. Other than that, should work. What about just the standard GEN II 4-pin trailer harness that connects to the factory provided dead-headed harness on the frame near the spare-tire? That's a WeatherPack style water resistant connector and provides brakes, turn signals and running lamps. If you T off the 4-pin, you can tow a trailer and connect your project lamps simultaneously.
The cargo light I was going to (uh...I am going to) tap the actual wire in the cargo/3rd brake light, since it provides the signal I want and also a covered path inside the truck, and I would only have to get one wire out of the cabin. Sorry if I was not clear enough.

My idea on using a T-connector arose from the fact that I have a trailer connector (a 7-pin, mounted below the bumper, which I plan to relocate to the bumper) and I want to retain that functionality.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
tapping into the tail/parking light is ok. But do not tap into the turn signal. It will mess up the turn signals ability to flash.

·
Registered
2015 Frontier SV CC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tapping into the tail/parking light is ok. But do not tap into the turn signal. It will mess up the turn signals ability to flash.
I'm lost.
Why would that be the case? Due to the LED added to the mix? I am already running LEDs all over the truck, inside and out.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
I'm lost.
Why would that be the case? Due to the LED added to the mix? I am already running LEDs all over the truck, inside and out.
DId you convert the turn signals to LED. Add a resistor? The flasher relay is thermal mechanical. When you change the load it won't flash right. I have one of those adaptors. When I plug it into my trailer it won't flash. Anyways you are looking for constant power not flashed power.

·
Registered
2015 Frontier SV CC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DId you convert the turn signals to LED. Add a resistor? The flasher relay is thermal mechanical. When you change the load it won't flash right. I have one of those adaptors. When I plug it into my trailer it won't flash. Anyways you are looking for constant power not flashed power.
Yes - resistor added to avoid hyperflash.
This is the reason I was trying to do this without splicing/cutting anything - it may be working now, but f I add another LED load (which would not be that much) it may not, and it may get even worse if I add trailer lights to the mix.
But thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Yes - resistor added to avoid hyperflash.
This is the reason I was trying to do this without splicing/cutting anything - it may be working now, but f I add another LED load (which would not be that much) it may not, and it may get even worse if I add trailer lights to the mix.
But thanks for the heads up.
THere are plenty of place to tap into more 12v power. If adding a turn signal (TS) plug do it the right way, the factory way. Add the TS relay and use the TS plug taps that are already at the back of the truck.

·
Registered
2015 Frontier SV CC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THere are plenty of place to tap into more 12v power. If adding a turn signal (TS) plug do it the right way, the factory way. Add the TS relay and use the TS plug taps that are already at the back of the truck.
I do not need additional live 12v sources at the back of the truck. I have one (besides any other the truck may have already had).
The main idea was to use the specified connector to tap into the turn signals without splicing the factory harness - look at this as if I wanted to add a marker light at the bottom of the mirrors which would also serve as turn signal indicators. The main difference is that my marker is a strip and instead of below the mirror is basically below the doors, near the running boards, and that I was thinking about getting the turn signals signal (??) from the bottom/back of the truck if possible.
Or think about it as the installation of an LED bar/strip at the tailgate which will serve as a 3rd brake light, park light, and turn signals.
If I have to add relays (but if I tap on that connector, the line is already coming from a relay, right?) I'll do it, I just want to avoid splicing the factory harness if I can help it.
Or maybe I am overthinking this, and I should just get another harness, splice/butcher it, and then if anything goes wrong I would still have the factory one.
I am just exploring my options.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,931 Posts
There may be some useful info at the following link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts