Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had three 4.0 V6 Nissans and they all tap when you first start them. What's the deal? I assume its oil starvation, right? Is there a better oil filter to use than the stock that will help with the drain-back?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Have you done any searching? There are numerous threads on this topic. Excuse my laziness for not linking you to any though. It's late and this is my last post before bed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done any searching? There are numerous threads on this topic. Excuse my laziness for not linking you to any though. It's late and this is my last post before bed.
Was trying, but came up with nothing. Hense the post.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Are you talking a breif 1-2 second ticking after a cold startup or something else? I have searched and made a few posts and came up with nothing as my 09' does it.

Unfortunately, I have just come to accept it. I have my first oil change tomorrow and will see if anything changes. On the third oil change I will probably swith to synthetic and a NAPA gold filter, but it will be awhile.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking a breif 1-2 second ticking after a cold startup or something else? I have searched and made a few posts and came up with nothing as my 09' does it.

Unfortunately, I have just come to accept it. I have my first oil change tomorrow and will see if anything changes. On the third oil change I will probably swith to synthetic and a NAPA gold filter, but it will be awhile.
Me too... I had an '06 Frontier, '09 Xterra and now my '09 Frontier and they all did it. Seems strange for a new truck with 100 miles. Keep me updated after you try a new filter...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Me too... I had an '06 Frontier, '09 Xterra and now my '09 Frontier and they all did it. Seems strange for a new truck with 100 miles. Keep me updated after you try a new filter...
It will be awhile, probably at least at 6 months before another oil change.

Did you notice any other issues with your prior 4.0's as a result of the ticking?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have done 2 oil changes on my '09 already and it hasn't changed anything. I used a Bosch and Mobil 1 oil filter with no change. I will be switching to synthetic at the next one with a K&N filter. Mine just does it for a second or two at first start up when cold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 05 has done the same thing since birth. I use Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter and Z Max. No difference. We need some sort of electric oil pump for a few seconds before start up. Anybody have any ideas, or links?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My 05 has done the same thing since birth. I use Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter and Z Max. No difference. We need some sort of electric oil pump for a few seconds before start up. Anybody have any ideas, or links?
No, we do not need an electric oil pump to prime the system. There are no lifters or hydrolics to my knowledge in the valve train. The noise is normal on just about any engine, especially since a cold engine has the greatest clearences at that point. If it was an issue, you would see metal filings in the oil and there would be a lot of people having issues with engines not running right!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
If I let mine sit a day or more, I hear a clatter and thud at start. The longer it sits, the worse the clatter. I don't think it's valves though and am instead thinking that the timing chain tensioners are going slack and causing the racket as the chain is loose in the sprockets.

If I quick twist the key without starting it and thus let oil pressure build, then go to a full start, the clatter and thud are far far less.

I haven't taken it to the Dealer, but I'm quite sure they'll say that they all do it or that they don't hear the noise.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason I think its a drain-back valve issue is when I park for a while on a flat surface it only knocks for a quick second but if I park on an incline it does it twice as long, or more. I understand that it may be normal, just seems strange since I have had almost 10 cars in the last 10 years and only the Nissans do this.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If I let mine sit a day or more, I hear a clatter and thud at start. The longer it sits, the worse the clatter. I don't think it's valves though and am instead thinking that the timing chain tensioners are going slack and causing the racket as the chain is loose in the sprockets.

If I quick twist the key without starting it and thus let oil pressure build, then go to a full start, the clatter and thud are far far less.

I haven't taken it to the Dealer, but I'm quite sure they'll say that they all do it or that they don't hear the noise.
This is what I've been doing when I'm starting my truck, and I've been seeing the same results. The clacking doesn't seem to be as loud or last as long. My engine still runs fine, I just don't think it sounds good at all for one to be doing that, even on a start-up

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
the older 3.3's do this too. i have been told its normal for nissans to make a noise for a few seconds on first start up. i think its 1 of 2 things, nissan engines don't use a lot of oil which may be the reason for oil not quickly running up to the lifters, or the oil pump doen't prime the system quickly enough before start up. i think it will be ok, if your 06 has no problems i am sure your xterra and frontier will be fine too.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
This is what I've been doing when I'm starting my truck, and I've been seeing the same results. The clacking doesn't seem to be as loud or last as long. My engine still runs fine, I just don't think it sounds good at all for one to be doing that, even on a start-up
Interesting -- glad to know that I'm not alone. Thank you. "Clacking" describes it well. And, yes, once started, mine runs fine too. Like many owners, I wish too that the engine didn't rev to 2100 to 2200 RPM at start (at least that's what mine goes to). My engine is such an eager starter that I think it'd be happy at something a bit less. Maybe Nissan does that so that oil gets to the head faster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 06 Fronty has done it since I bought it used @ 17000 miles (Just turned 40k this weekend). Running Mobil 1 5w30 w/ nissan filter (always OEM filters!) and it still makes the noise.

It's funny because when I am doing a PDI on a 09 Frontier, Xterra, or Pathfinder they will all do the same thing. These vehicles have only 7 to 15 kilometres on them! It may be due to the fact that some of them sit in the compound for a month or two at a time before they are ever started, but once you hear the noise your almost guaranteed to hear it again. GM piston slap anyone? JK!

·
Registered
985 Posts
First, I don't know what you may be hearing. Valve train or main bearing, or piston clearance. They all sound different. Valve and piston noise usually, but not always, will at least start on one cyl., not six. I'd try a 10w30 or even a 15w30 to see if you hear a difference. I'd also recommend the Nissan filter. At least it has the proper antidrainback valve. What have you got to loose?

As to start up, anyone ever build a hi-po small block chevy? First start up is 3 grand, min. If you don't, the cam will likely be toast and the pistons will not be lubed properly. Sounds awful to think about, but it is the right way. So when mine fires up, I just remember at least the lube is being distributed all over immediately.

PS: I don't hear any noise and I use 10w30, always have, always will. I probably loose 0.005 mpg doing that, but don't worry about lubrication issues either.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts