Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I searched and nothing really came up.

I want to tap into the front door switches (the ones in the door jam that tell the dome lights to come on). I pulled one out last night and there are 3 wires running to it (green, black, and I think it was white) when the door is open does it complete the ground loop? or the positive? Does anybody have a diagram or just know which wire I want to tap into to trigger a relay?

EDIT: So far this thread has been the most helpful but still does not mention which wire to use, but it is a ground triggered loop.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/underglow-when-dome-light-6002/

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I searched and nothing really came up.

I want to tap into the front door switches (the ones in the door jam that tell the dome lights to come on). I pulled one out last night and there are 3 wires running to it (green, black, and I think it was white) when the door is open does it complete the ground loop? or the positive? Does anybody have a diagram or just know which wire I want to tap into to trigger a relay?

EDIT: So far this thread has been the most helpful but still does not mention which wire to use, but it is a ground triggered loop.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/underglow-when-dome-light-6002/
From what I see on the schematics in the FSM, the switch (Left Front Door) should close the loop of the Light Green wire (terminal 2) to the Black wire (terminal 3) which is grounded when the door is open on a King Cab model.

LT section, page LT119

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Bruno, Thanks a bunch for the reply. I'm going to give this a shot tonight as my lights I plan to use came in last night. So then just to confirm, I want to tap into the black (terminal 3) and tie that into the ground on my relay to trigger it when the door is open. Correct?

After looking at the schematic you referenced, I should be able to tap either of the black wires running in the door sill then correct? As they are tied together going to ground.

For anyone wanting to see what we are talking about page 119 here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Frontier/2007_Frontier/lt.pdf

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Bruno, Thanks a bunch for the reply. I'm going to give this a shot tonight as my lights I plan to use came in last night. So then just to confirm, I want to tap into the black (terminal 3) and tie that into the ground on my relay to trigger it when the door is open. Correct?

After looking at the schematic you referenced, I should be able to tap either of the black wires running in the door sill then correct? As they are tied together going to ground.

For anyone wanting to see what we are talking about page 119 here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Frontier/2007_Frontier/lt.pdf
I just looked at the diagram on page 119 and the Black wires (terminal 3) are tied directly to ground. If you want to switch a relay on by supplying a ground to it, you need to be on the open side of the switch. (terminal 2 for the front door.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
bobus8 is correct, you will want to connect to the open side of the circuit (LG wire), otherwise you will have constant ground and the lights will always remain on.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok so i just spent an hour trying to figure this out. You guys are right, but I figured it out the hard way. Using a multimeter, I found that black is the constant ground and lt green completed the loop via the door switch (all as you mentioned). I went a step further and traced it into the door sil for easier access. The wire you want to tap in the driver door sil is the sky blue wire, for passenger you want the red wire.

For others,
If you want something to respond to the door opening an closing, tap the sky blue wire on driver side, red on the passenger in the door sil by the lower rear door latch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok so i just spent an hour trying to figure this out. You guys are right, but I figured it out the hard way. Using a multimeter, I found that black is the constant ground and lt green completed the loop via the door switch (all as you mentioned). I went a step further and traced it into the door sil for easier access. The wire you want to tap in the door sil is the sky blue wire.

For others,
If you want something to respond to the door opening an closing, tap the sky blue wire in the door sil by the lower rear door latch.
Sorry you lost so much time to that!! But at least you got it. Let us see the result!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys! You all were a big help. I updated my last post to reflect the passenger side as well. Once again had to probe a bunch of wires to find the right one, that side turn out to be the red wire.

Results!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thought I would post here as well maybe you guys have some insight..

I did the bottom light mod that glamis did above.. except I am having one of the problems that you describe above about the light always being on when connected to the ground..Here is some back story..

2011 Crew Cab

(passenger side)

I took apart the door switch and located the two wires. I have a light green and a red.

If I plug the power into my amp and the ground to the red wire switch, the light turns on full power with the door open, if i close the switch, the light only turns off about half of the power, if that makes sense.. the leds do flicker when the door switch is hit, but they dont turn off fully.

If I try the green wire, nothing happens...

*also, I get NO lights if I dont plug the ground into the red wire on the passenger, so I assume the red wire is some kind of ground since it does activate the light when it makes contact.

I have tried this by the Y that glamis describes in his walk through and directly behind the switch by shoving wires in the back of the actual switch.. same results..

Am I missing something? Should I just wire them to my interior cab lights? (the lights in the console on top of the roof with the 2 push lights) that way when the door opens both come on much like the roof lights. I dont really care about them both coming on.. but... just an idea..

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Ive got some of the 6 or 8 LED lights under my doors. I tapped power in on the fuse box, then grounded the other end.

The LEDs stay on all the time, it takes a couple weeks to run the battery dead enough not to start. I haven't gotten around to tapping the lights into a ground switch.

I did have the thought of pulling the interior light switch and tapping in there.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think it would make much of a difference. I believe that there is always a partial ground connection. While my door lights don't stay partially on, all my led dome lights do. I think it has to do with the type of LED and some requiring less power to activate than others. I don't think I would worry about it, I've never had an issue with parasitic draw. I bet you it comes from the factory like that but with incandescents its to dim to notice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just tested with the dome light, my setup might be a little different thought.. I have a S model. there was no front dome light, I installed one myself. Ran the power from the rear dome light to the front.

I ran the ground wire from the LEDS to the the wire that connects the rear dome light to the front, the leds now turn on when any door is open and wont turn off until all the doors are shut. =D!

Now to find out how to wire rear bed lights into the cargo light =D

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I learned a neat trick when I installed several LEDs in my cab a while back to make them dim with all of the dash lights. Basically you just tap your ground source from the ground of any dimmable light inside. I've been running them this way for a few years with no adverse effects and it is pretty nice to be able to dim them when I want. I also learned that most if not all of the interior lights utilize a switched ground so probably any illumination circuit you tap into for + on the interior will be always on if you use a permanent ground such as the chassis. If you want to see what I did, it was one of my first threads so you can find it pretty easy in my thread history.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts