Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a few trails yesterday in the Talledaga National Forrest. I encountered a lot of different terrain, but unfortunately, I didn't document that too well in my pics. I also was having too much fun, and didn't get out to take pics during the more challenging sections--regret. I had to do a of clearing with my machete in some sections, and one trail was cut short due to a large downed tree (forgot my chainsaw).

In no particular order.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the parts you were able to document. Looks like a fine day, other than the bumper damage. Did that happen early on? If so, kudos for pressing on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the parts you were able to document. Looks like a fine day, other than the bumper damage. Did that happen early on? If so, kudos for pressing on.
It happened about midway through. It was already damaged from a hit a run a month or so ago. So, when heard the noise, took a look, and realized the fender wasn't damaged, it didn't really phase me.

And I just realize that I misspelled Talladega in the title.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone recommend a good air compressor.. I'm worried I might burn the one I have up and get stranded.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that was funny! :clever:

I agree with Brian .... I like my Viair 400P as well. Although I have not had mine for 5 years .... It still does great for me.

Thanks.. looks like a good option. Airing up and deflating doesn't rank very high on my fun list. Speaking of, I need to get some deflaters too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Damn, thats a little more than an hour and a half from my place. Where there were you doing this? I see what looks like a lot of forest service roads there. Can you share google maps links? I've been dying to find a place to go with my truck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are quite a few trails, but unfortunately, they are not all open for use.

The best thing to do is consult the Talladega motor vehicle use map ( http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5213098.pdf), and plan accordingly. The main trail shown here is county road 600-2. There are two section, the southern portion is rocky, washed out, and rutted--aka fun. The other half is a fairly well maintained graven road traversing a ridge line. Bring at least a machete, as I had to clear a bunch of downed and low limbs--you're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are quite a few trails, but unfortunately, they are not all open for use.

The best thing to do is consult the Talladega motor vehicle use map ( http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5213098.pdf), and plan accordingly. The main trail shown here is county road 600-2. There are two section, the southern portion is rocky, washed out, and rutted--aka fun. The other half is a fairly well maintained graven road traversing a ridge line. Bring at least a machete, as I had to clear a bunch of downed and low limbs--you're welcome.

Thanks man, thats helpful. the other section, can it be done in a stock Pro 4x?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks man, thats helpful. the other section, can it be done in a stock Pro 4x?
No problem. I think you should be ok, There are few places that have larger rocks that you may need to be careful, just be mindful of your rear diff. I'd go when it's not wet/raining if you don't have an aggressive tire.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No problem. I think you should be ok, There are few places that have larger rocks that you may need to be careful, just be mindful of your rear diff. I'd go when it's not wet/raining if you don't have an aggressive tire.
Have the stock hankook tires. Plan is to go hit up some of the easy forest service type stuff in North GA that's a little closer to home to get used to the truck. Havent been off road since 2013 when i sold my Tacoma.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have the stock hankook tires. Plan is to go hit up some of the easy forest service type stuff in North GA that's a little closer to home to get used to the truck. Havent been off road since 2013 when i sold my Tacoma.

You would do fine with those, and the rear locker would get you out of any of the trouble on the trails I've been on so far. Most of the forest roads through Talladega are in pretty good condition. A few of the seasonal trails have some decent mud, but I avoid those since I'm traveling solo most of the time and don't want to risk getting stuck out there.

I made another trip to explore more of the roads. I did about 85 miles on Sunday, and had a good time. My goal is to cover all the roads I can, and slowly move north. I'm piecing together a good multi night overland type route north from the southern tip on the Talladega NF up through Chattahooxhee NF/Cohutta wilderness, and eventually through the Cherokee and George Washington and Jefferson NF.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You would do fine with those, and the rear locker would get you out of any of the trouble on the trails I've been on so far. Most of the forest roads through Talladega are in pretty good condition. A few of the seasonal trails have some decent mud, but I avoid those since I'm traveling solo most of the time and don't want to risk getting stuck out there.

I made another trip to explore more of the roads. I did about 85 miles on Sunday, and had a good time. My goal is to cover all the roads I can, and slowly move north. I'm piecing together a good multi night overland type route north from the southern tip on the Talladega NF up through Chattahooxhee NF/Cohutta wilderness, and eventually through the Cherokee and George Washington and Jefferson NF.

Share with me what you put together. Would love to do something like that myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts