Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at using a hitch bed extender for hauling 4'x8' sheet materials. I have the Crew cab model so I have three slots in the bed for running 2"x6" boards across to get the 4' width covered. With a 60" bed a 96" sheet leaves about 40" (past last 2x6) of overhang. I've looked at hitch bed extenders but they all seem geared towards leveling a load at the truck bed floor level and not at the height of the 2x6 support. Anyone know of a hitch bed extender that goes that high or have a DIY idea for this? Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
I made a rectangular box out of PT 2x6's that fits between the wheel wells, and goes from the back
of the cab to the end of the lowered tailgate. Had to cut something like 1/2" off the part that
goes over the tailgate since the tailgate liner is that much higher than the bed floor. Works
well for 4x8 sheets. I have to stretch a couple of extra 2x6's across from the bed to my bed extender
when I have to carry 4x12 sheets of drywall though.

Biggest problem is where to store the 2x6x8 box when I'm not using it. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Was just looking at Erickson site (brand of bed extender I have). They now have a "high mount"
addition that goes up to the roof. It's likely a square tube that you can cut to whatever
height you want. As far as that goes, you can probably buy the bed extender and get some square
tubing from any welding or metal working shop to extend it yourself. I'm going to look into it
myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts