Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a fair amount on dry dusty gravel roads and even with a tonneau cover I get quite a lot of dust sucked into the bed. It gets pretty bad in there after driving 20 min or more.

I'm thinking of trying some kind of rubber seal around the edges of the tailgate and was wondering if anyone else attempted anything like that. Was going to check the hardware store to see if there's some type of weatherstripping that might work and not be noticeable. The areas around the hinges seem like there's a substantial gap maybe 3/4" so I'm not sure how I'll be able to seal that up.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I believe others have had this same issue. I believe most just tried standard weather stripping. It comes in all different thicknesses and densities so it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It gets alot better with a seal but still not perfect...
I am going to dedicate some time to finding the remaining leak(s)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that's perfect, I never thought about Cabelas! Now to figure out what other gear to get from Cabelas as well, so many things, so little money.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got a TrailSeal free with my tonneau when I purchased it. It helps, but with the way the tailgate closes on these trucks, it doesn't seal well on the sides. It helps, but I still get dust in mine. Haven't really looked much into other options yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The fix is in!

Like some of you, I have spent some time trying to get a good seal at the tailgate to minimize the dust and snow that migrates into the box. After trying a couple of commercial options with minimal success, I came up with a pretty good solution.

I had purchased one of those tailgate seal kits that was basically 10' of weatherstripping with some double sided tape to stick it to the truck. Needless to say, it left a lot to be desired. The seal along the bed was pretty good but the sides were hopeless.

As I looked for some appropriate material to make a flap to close the gap along the side, I came across something else that is a perfect solution.

It is a high grade pipe insulation, made of closed cell foam with an attached rubber tape designed to close the insulation around the pipe.

My install involves removing most of the screws and plastic clips that hold the inner tailgate cover in place. I used the "tailgate gasket" material along the bed of the truck, and the 1/2" pipe insulation along the sides. Sandwich the gasket material between the plastic cover and the tailgate. I made a small notch in the tape to go around the latch, then stuck the tape along the side of the endgate. I then adjusted the rest of the foam outward from the compression point so that it filled up the gap, then replaced the screws.

Hopefully the pictures will give you a better idea of the install, as well as showing how well the gap is closed up.

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts