Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I open or close the tailgate, the right hand side pops out of the socket (probably because I'm pulling up on the handle). If I don't support the (pretty heavy) tailgate, the corner drops onto the bumper and I now have a slight dent in the sheet metal of the tailgate. Is this normal? Shouldn't there be some sort of locking mechanism to prevent the corner popping out? Of course, this is my first pickup so maybe I just don't know how to open and close the tailgate properly.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I know some ppl that have that problem put a tie wrap over the hinge and it does not come out, it is design to take out when you dont need it on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't have a problem with the hinge coming out, but th reason Nissan put a lock on the tailgate is specifically to prevent people from stealing the tailgate because it is so easy to come off. I've never pulled hard enough to have it come out of the hinge though...the tiestrap idea sounds good though...esp if you don't plan to take it off...

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
nissan makes a tailgate lock (other than the keyed lock) that bolts onto the side that has the opening in it for the tailgate to come out...

I had it on my 97, and am planning on putting it on this one as well..

sounds like it is what you need though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts