Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '16 KC SV V6 4x4 VTP a couple weeks now and am so far very pleased with it. Even got 20 mpg on my first tank of gas, which surprised me. Anyway, one thing that has me somewhat annoyed is this "max 200 lb" load on the tailgate. I plan to use the truck to transport motorcycles in the bed on occasion, but this limit leaves me bewildered on how I can avoid violating this, both loading and moving. How do folks deal with this restriction?

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
If you aren't doing it every day don't worry about it. I have had motorcycles, snowmobiles, and several big guys sitting on my tailgate before and it's still there.

(Not at the same time)

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
If you aren't doing it every day don't worry about it. I have had motorcycles, snowmobiles, and several big guys sitting on my tailgate before and it's still there.

(Not at the same time)
What can one do (to reinforce?) should they decide to worry about it? I'd rather be safe than very sorry...

·
Registered
469 Posts
A piece of 3/4 inch plywood would help distribute the weight. Of course you'll have to cut it down a little to fit between the wheel wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
That would do it, but if you really want beefy you would have to add something to the hinges and cable.

Aftermarket reinforced cables available?
Hinges fabbed/modded by a welder? Out of my realm...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Considering that we are not having any issues with tailgates, including people who really abuse them, it isn't a problem.

Now if you had a Tacoma, then you should start thinking of how to make it stronger. Those are the ones that are known to bend like, well a Taco.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What can one do (to reinforce?) should they decide to worry about it? I'd rather be safe than very sorry...
I guess the first thing to do is look at the components and figure out what the weakest link is.

If it's the cables you can always add a second pair to reinforce the existing pair.

I've been wondering about this too, since the plastic liner makes it's surface slightly higher than
the surface of the bed, long load weights are unevenly distributed.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
You should be fine. the 2016 has the new reinforced tailgate hinge. My 2006 does not and I load motorcycles, snowblowers, etc... I even drove around with a 300+ lb snow blower tied down and only resting onto the tailgate; I had my camper shell on at the time and could not drive it all the way in the bed.

My hinges are bent and have worked hardened before they have bent any further. I keep meaning to change them out to the new ones but have not and have simply stopped worrying about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2010 and have had much more than 200 lbs onto tailgate with lawn tractors and snowblowers. I can't find anywhere in my owners manual where it says there's a 200 lb limit. There is a caution under the option bed extender stating not to exceed 200 lbs, but I take that to mean the limit is when using the extender. Here's a cut/paste from the manual

BED EXTENDER (if so equipped)
CAUTION
Do not overload the bed extender.
Maximum load on the open tailgate is
890N (200 lbs).
Evenly distribute and properly secure
all cargo.
Do not use the bed extender or tailgate
to secure cargo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I do have the bed extender, and I know I saw the same caution label and weight limitation. I don't recall if I saw it anywhere else. But anyway, I can't rationalize why that restriction would only apply when using the bed extender...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Said it before and I'll say it again, 3/4 inch plywood will fix your problem. Cheap and easy.
It's about weight distribution.

·
Super Moderator
10,405 Posts
You should be fine. the 2016 has the new reinforced tailgate hinge. My 2006 does not and I load motorcycles, snowblowers, etc... I even drove around with a 300+ lb snow blower tied down and only resting onto the tailgate; I had my camper shell on at the time and could not drive it all the way in the bed.

My hinges are bent and have worked hardened before they have bent any further. I keep meaning to change them out to the new ones but have not and have simply stopped worrying about it.
What changed? The hinge on my 16 looks just like the other four Frontiers before it. None of them or the cables failed. Why make a problem when there isn't one? Abuse any vehicle and parts fail.

Clint

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
What changed? The hinge on my 16 looks just like the other four Frontiers before it. None of them or the cables failed. Why make a problem when there isn't one? Abuse any vehicle and parts fail.

Clint
They are of the same basic design, but there was something different about them. I do not recall exactly what. There is a thread about it. Something like heavier gauge metal or the way the hinge cup is attached.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Said it before and I'll say it again, 3/4 inch plywood will fix your problem. Cheap and easy.

Yes, I will likely do something like this... of course I don't want to obscure use of the utilitraks on the bed...

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Good idea if you can't or don't want to close your tailgate. Or, am I missing something here?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts