Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a replacement for the interior of the tailgate that would be flat and smooth so it is not a torture rack to craw up onto? Something rugged that would stand up?

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
How about cutting a sheet of plywood to fit and using the current cover to drill holes in proper locations and then install that over the current one?

Clint

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone make a replacement for the interior of the tailgate that would be flat and smooth so it is not a torture rack to craw up onto? Something rugged that would stand up?
I was hoping to find one more robust and weather resistance out of hard plastic or something similar to the material a cutting board is made from...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was hoping to find one more robust and weather resistance out of hard plastic or something similar to the material a cutting board is made from...

I would also be interested in something like this. I have thought about cutting a piece of rubber bed mat material to fit the tailgate and securing it someway.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Do you have the factory spray in bedliner or no?

Not knowing your height, I always step up on the left side. Tailgate down, Left foot on the edge of the bumper, grab the inner lip on the bed side with my right arm and hoist myself up and swing right leg on to tailgate. I'm 5'8" and It's a slight feat of flexibility, but always manageable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Use the same method as the plywood but get yourself a sheet of aluminum or better yet a sheet of titanium.
I believe they sell thicker sheet metal formed for this for the tacoma. (Meant to stiffen the tailgate) you might see if it'll fit and if so, if you can buy one either undrilled, or drilled to match the frontier.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Aluminum is great except if uncoated it oxidizes and every time you tough it with make your hands and clothes black.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's what I did. Bought a 4 x 8 piece of lauan and cut to fit. Bought indoor/outdoor carpet from Menards.
Stapled carpet to lauan and secured to tailgate with 6 small lag screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the factory spray in bedliner or no?

Not knowing your height, I always step up on the left side. Tailgate down, Left foot on the edge of the bumper, grab the inner lip on the bed side with my right arm and hoist myself up and swing right leg on to tailgate. I'm 5'8" and It's a slight feat of flexibility, but always manageable.
Yes i do... or as we call it hell on knees...

·
Registered
549 Posts
The earlier second gens have a flatter tailgate liner.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always use the rear tires as steps to climb over the bed side.
I have a camper shell... And the tailgate is rough on old knees.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wonder if you could get a remnant piece of synthetic countertop cut to fit. Corian or whatever. The material should hold up to the weather, although might be too thick/heavy with the weight limits on the tailgates.

Or something like this:

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1526&step=2&top_cat=181
That is not a bad idea at all, except if it were me I would spend the extra money and go with the Kydex. better strength to weight ratio and moldable if wanted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts