Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fixed the tailgate handle from automatically locking itself? I use the trick of unlocking the gate and pushing on the left side to release the tension. This usually works, just not every time. It's kinda annoying to have to fumble for my keys to unlock the gate after I find that my first attempt to open the gate were futile. I would even go so far as to weld in a plate to make it able to accept another manufacturer's handle, that is if there were such a conversion available. I mean open when I pull on the handle, that's not too much to ask is it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine was doing the same thing and eventually failed (wouldn't open) Does this thread help you any?

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/has-anyone-bought-tailgate-handle-2002-3-4-a-142761/

I've actually gone back in and replaced the one wire with two (top and bottom) on my replacement handle as it failed also. That "fix" has held for about six months now.
Thanks. I've looked at those before and wondered if the replacement would hold up as good as the oem. I guess I will just let mine ride til it breaks completely then go with the OEM unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I added an electric actuator. It now locks and unlocks with the key fob.

No more problems with it...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added an electric actuator. It now locks and unlocks with the key fob.

No more problems with it...
Details please?! Any pictures? Sounds awesome!

·
Premium Member
256 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the same problem until the whole plastic handle just broke off........Purchased a new gate handle and replaced the whole enchilada from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just replaced my handle assembly with an eBay one, it was an easy job & a nice tight fit...BUT, I actually would like my tailgate to lock each time I close it. Currently, it does not.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts