Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need the entire assembly (not just the handle itself). Forgives I'd ask here to save some money before paying $30 on eBay. Let me know if anyone's parting out. Don't need he lock assembly. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I don't have (but did replace the tailgate handle on my 1998 once after daughter slammed it, she paid).

But my recommendation for ALL trucks is to ONLY close it by pulling the handle, raising the tailgate into place, and then releasing the handle. Slamming these may be macho but sooner or later you'll need to repair.

My friend lost two in one week, on a Frontier and a GMC by Goobers slamming them closed after getting hay and stuff. He learned the hard way...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have (but did replace the tailgate handle on my 1998 once after daughter slammed it, she paid).

But my recommendation for ALL trucks is to ONLY close it by pulling the handle, raising the tailgate into place, and then releasing the handle. Slamming these may be macho but sooner or later you'll need to repair.

My friend lost two in one week, on a Frontier and a GMC by Goobers slamming them closed after getting hay and stuff. He learned the hard way...

Thanks for the tip. My brother hardly used it but the one time he closed it with just a bit of force is when he started noticing the problem. Been opening it some other way, now that I'm getting the truck from him as a daily driver, it'll annoy me knowing it's broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been through a few of them on my '01. Every one broke when I (or someone) attempted to open the tailgate with material (mulch, dirt, etc) pushing back on it.

When opening under those conditions, always push the top of the tailgate in as far as it will go....it releases the tension on the cheap plastic handle and will prevent it from cracking when opening it. The handle portion itself is replaceable, even though a lot of manuals and sites show it as not. Ive been able to pick up generic replacements from Amazon with Prime shipping for $15-ish (I know you need the whole unit, but for future reference)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts