Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked but didn't see this covered anywhere. Forgive me if I just missed it!

I have had the same problem with my 2014 SV and now on my 2015 SL. For no apparent reason when I stop my tailgate is OPEN. Not a good thing... Last time I had luggage in the bed, fortunately it was still there. The situation does not happen often but any is TOO much IMHO. Anybody else have this problem? If so what remedies did you use? I slam tailgate and pull on it and it seems secure but evidently it is not.

Thanks for any insights!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
My guess is that you just have to slam it harder when closing. This is common on Frontiers. Some folks have trimmed the rubber stops on the tailgate to make it easier to close. But don't trim too much, or it will be loose.

Vic

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
Close it a little harder and lube the latches as maybe they bind just enough to cause an issue. Sometimes only one side is adjusted and catching and the other side isn't. Softly close it and then press each side to see which side goes further until it clicks.

Clint

·
Registered
470 Posts
Are you sure both sides closed? Try closing with hands 6" from each with a Lift, Push and pull back to check each side is solid. I used to grab and push from center handle and often one side or other not catch, never had gate open though and I've had a bunch of Frontiers/Datsuns.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mine popped open once. Had someone helping me load stuff in the bed and he didn't slam it. Lost a plastic ammo box full of ratchet straps somewhere on the 20 mile drive home and my baby's stroller was a bump or two away from falling out as well.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Like G loc, mine fell open on the Interstate once and only through the grace of God did nothing fall out. We later figured that my wife had opened it and neglected to slam it closed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take the access cover off the inside of the tailgate. Clean and lubricate the handle and mechanism, check for proper operation.

I had a similar situation when a couple of the nuts holding the assembly came loose and would bind slightly causing the tailgate to not latch fully.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Wow, have never had this happen to me (yet?!?) as it would/could be catastrophic to anyone following.
As others have stated, I'll physically check tailgate after closing to make sure both sides are latched. There have definitely been instances where the passenger-side latch did not fully 'latch' as demonstrated by slight movement upon checking via a slight pull rearward. A simple re-close, with the primary pressure from the middle of the tailgate will generally correct this. Will say I'm not a tailgate slammer...just a firm push will get the job done nearly all of the time. But I ALWAYS check my work.

Reactions: Blue Devil

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice guys, thanks. I cleaned and lubed the external hinges etc. Will check the internal when I can. Think tho I will devise some fail-safe method to hold my gear in case this happens again as it has happened in BOTH Frontiers I have owned...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bought my truck used. It's a 2014. I noticed it needs a bit of energy to close it. The left side feels slightly looser. The right sight is tight and has no wiggle what so ever. Almost seems like the rubber stop is worn or possibly shaved already on the left side. Nobody notices this but me and they call me crazy but it bothers me. I never had my tail gate pop open though. I always give a little tug to make sure it's secure. But now I am sure I will be extra paranoid.

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
It needs a good slam, it won't hurt anything.

Clint

·
Registered
397 Posts
...that's why Nissan includes the flip bed extenders with the VTP::grin::

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Locking the tailgate won't prevent it from falling open if it wasn't first slammed shut with vigor. As an extra measure after slam-closing it, I push on it.

Maybe someone can engineer an old skool failsafe mod like this. <g> [not my photo]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Locking the tailgate won't prevent it from falling open if it wasn't first slammed shut with vigor. As an extra measure after slam-closing it, I push on it.

Maybe someone can engineer an old skool failsafe mod like this. <g> [not my photo]

What a good idea! Perhaps Frontiers are not the only ones that have this problem??? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
what kind of tonneau do you have? when I first installed my roll-up one of the AL rails was a bit too long and prevented a good latch when closing the gate. I would echo the suggestion of cleaning/lubricating the latches. I've never had an issue with my gate (since I fixed the tonneau).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Old post but since I am the OP wanted to revisit this. I still have the problem, I have lubricated the latch points and even removed the spoiler tailgate cap and put in a traditional (read flatter) aftermarket gate cap. Still to no avail, on occasion it still drops open... I had a Mazda B2300 for 10 years (basically a Ford Ranger) and NEVER had this happen. This is my only problem with this truck, I absolutely LOVE it otherwise. Will have Nissan check it under warranty but am certain they will find nothing wrong as it does not do it consistently. Anybody come up with a solution by now? Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had mine pop open once. Fixed it by making sure I slam it shut. Never happened again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts