Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought one of these on AutoAnything, waiting for it to come in. Anyone have one? Searched high and low couldn't find a thread. Hopefully it works as advertised, would be great to not have to worry about dropping the tailgate.

Dee Zee EZ Down

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't think about that, it did reveal a lot! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I got one from Redline when I got my hood struts. Love the hood struts, but the ez down was a pos. The first one arrived broken, which they promptly replaced. But the 2nd one was not much better. It worked good for a while and it was nice when it worked, but eventually the clip breaks and then it gets jammed up and makes it hard to close the tailgate.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoot, now after finding all these posts about the EZ down being a POS I might end up returning it. Those redline tuning struts for the hood are bad *** looking, might have to invest in a set!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The tailgate on my TiTan was one of the best parts... came open nice and easy. I wonder why they didnt put this on the frontier

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
The tailgate on my TiTan was one of the best parts... came open nice and easy. I wonder why they didnt put this on the frontier
theyre going to, I talked to the engineers about that at the Texas truck ralley. The Titan(Ithought was lighter, its not) has counter balanced springs to reduce the weight feel.
And no the EZ down is not a POS, I had mine ever since the first push for them to build. Yes the clip sucks but just put a fender washer over the top mount bolt to keep the strut from popping off and it will never do it again

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 years and it works great! No problems.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have one and love it. When my clip broke all I did was use a rivet to hold the clip on. still works great. One of the best things I ever bought for my trunk.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
And no the EZ down is not a POS, I had mine ever since the first push for them to build. Yes the clip sucks but just put a fender washer over the top mount bolt to keep the strut from popping off and it will never do it again
The clip is definitely the point of failure. I like the washer idea, had the strut not always popped off the stud I would have liked the product.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
the lower hinge mount on mine bent after less than a week. the company had such terrible customer service in resolving the issue with me that i ended up disputing the charge w/ my cc co. deezee never disputed back, so the cc refunded my money and i threw the thing away.

it's a great idea, on paper. you know, like communism.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The EZ Down and Redline hood struts work great and I consider them two of the better things I've added to my truck.

Note, I used a Chevy EZ Down and modified it to work. I've never had a problem with it, a real solid piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thanks for the reassurance! The fender washer + rivet sounds like a plan. Now to see about getting those hood struts. I'm a little hesitant about drilling holes in a brand new truck though.

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
Well thanks for the reassurance! The fender washer + rivet sounds like a plan. Now to see about getting those hood struts. I'm a little hesitant about drilling holes in a brand new truck though.
It's only a few holes. Just make sure you remove the drilling chips and protect the bare metal on the holes with some primer before you install the brackets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've noticed mine works a lot different between warmer and COLDer temperatures. Winter time I bent the bracket that attaches to the gate hinge several times. Finally got Ez to send a new one. Still problems so I drilled that bracket and tapped a hole in the gate hinge close to the hinge and haven't had a problem since.

Someone on here suggested a small wire tie for the bracket. I did that--not the neatest but works.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought mine on ebay for about $55.00 about 1 week ago and already installed it. It works perfectly! A friend of mine didn't close my tailgate right a few weeks ago and when I drove off, the tailgate slammed down and the right hinges broke. I had to replace all the parts on the bottom right hinges (about $100.00 with shipping). I bought one of these immediately so it wouldn't happen again. I should have done this a LONG time ago. Good luck and hope you love it as much as I do!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just got mine from LiftSupport Depot which is part of www.autopartsbylou.com

$30.15 plus freight.
Part number 38302

Its my 2nd one and I swear by them....

My 2012 frontier had the tailgate open after crossing some railroad tracks and when it fell it bent up the bottom corner....Now my gate just floats down. Very nice.

PS...be sure to wrap some black tape around the clip's base....for some reason the clip can fall off without it

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
I just got mine from LiftSupport Depot which is part of www.autopartsbylou.com

$30.15 plus freight.
Part number 38302

Its my 2nd one and I swear by them....

My 2012 frontier had the tailgate open after crossing some railroad tracks and when it fell it bent up the bottom corner....Now my gate just floats down. Very nice.

PS...be sure to wrap some black tape around the clip's base....for some reason the clip can fall off without it
The cheapest price I found was Oreilly's. About $23 with tax.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts