Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions about tailgates, namely the earlier '99-ish flat style, versus the bulged type on my '04.

1. Is there a strength (amount of weight each can support) difference.

2. Can all of the hardware, except for handle and possibly linkages, transfer between the two.

I ask because while the repair I made to my dented tailgate two years ago is still holding, I've been thinking about replacing it with the older style, unless the older style can't support as much weight (I have, perhaps foolishly but successfully driven a riding mower into the bed on ramps propped up on the tailgate).

·
Registered
169 Posts
1. Is there a strength (amount of weight each can support) difference.
These cables hold up the tailgate and look to be the same for all 1st Gen's, so the weight the tailgates support must be the same. IDK about fitment of the tailgate to the bed. A junkyard should let you test fit one.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Only difference in any 1st gen tailgate is just the look of the rear end. They're basically the same tailgate and all years 98-04 are interchangeable. I went to the junkyard and got some used cables off an 04 for my 00. They're the exact same.

Also from what i understand any tailgate from late 80's to 04 will fit interchangeably

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did this to my '02 and yes, all the internals and latches will swap over. When I got a new shell, I had it painted and went and found a Dorman handle from AutoZone and swapped everything over. I had one VERY small issue with the latch on the driver's side hitting and not locking in place. A washer behind the top bolt under the plate fixed the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. 02_4-Banger, that looks great. Great to know for sure it's a direct swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts