Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Tailgate cap

10K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  shift_RUSH 
#1 ·
Finally to care of the one thing I really dislike about my truck! The ugly tailgate cap, about 30 min worth of work. Now it has a nice clean look and ready for my softopper install.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
I have that same gate cap. The foam tape didnt hold real well. I ended up using the factory weldnuts that are in the gate and some stainless steel button head hex bolts to secure it along with some new tape. Has held up well to abuse the past 3 yrs.

Reactions: Cozz
#12 ·
Well fellas here it is, the reason for removing the tailgate cap. I finally got my softopper on and since my last post I got rid of the 265/70's and went with 245/75's Dextero DAT2. Had a chance to play in some snow up in Mio MI at Bullgap. To my pleasant surprise, the little truck did very well in 2wd, 4wd was for play. I did attempt the the hill climb, not quite enough wheel speed to get past halfway. So, backing down with some wheel slide is not fun but all in all I'm very pleased with how well the frontier handles.

Attachments

#14 ·
No it will not. I seen pics where others have installed snaps, velcro or just leaving it hang, but the look is awful. Softopper has not made changes to accommodate the new styling of tailgates throughout the industry.
Personally I can't stand the fin like look about it.

#16 ·
No idea, my guess would be - due to the demand for a 4dr truck thus shortening the bed, the factory felt they needed to beef up the tailgate to support any material being hauled or to accommodate all the unnecessary equipment going into the tailgate, cameras, auto open, auto locks, toilet paper dispenser 😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.