Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of installing a tailgate assist kit.
My question is do you put on one or two kits?
If you use one does it cause the tailgate to twist?
I did a search but didn't find an answer to this question
Regards,
JimGeo

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you mean the “easy down” kits then only use one. If you use two the thing will take all day to go down.

iirc others aren’t complaining of the tailgate “twisting” but some have said it has caused their tailgate to shift to one side or the other a little bit causing an uneven gap on the sides of the tailgate where it meets the taillights.

also,there’s different ways to do it but you’ll want to modify the strut so it doesn’t pop off.

I’m using the “Sachs” kit from Amazon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean the “easy down” kits then only use one. If you use two the thing will take all day to go down.

iirc others aren’t complaining of the tailgate “twisting” but some have said it has caused their tailgate to shift to one side or the other a little bit causing an uneven gap on the sides of the tailgate where it meets the taillights.

also,there’s different ways to do it but you’ll want to modify the strut so it doesn’t pop off.

I’m using the “Sachs” kit from Amazon.

Thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
466 Posts
No problem, there are too many threads on this topic so difficult to search through hahah.

also, the now that I think of it people complain of the bracket in the kit twisting.. those are the same people that just let the tailgate fly down on its own - remember this tailgate is easy.

what I like to do is open it and gently assist it with my hand(s) until the assist strut catches (takes a couple of inches of the tailgate being open for it to engage) and then let it carry the gate down the rest of the way.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don't understand why. The tailgates on these are pretty light to begin with. I never have any difficulty closing mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I initially installed 2 kits but for whatever reason the passenger side kit would always try and pull the tailgate out of place so I had to remove it

·
Super Moderator
10,509 Posts
They get a a little squirrelly when it gets very cold out as the fluid in the strut doesn’t compress easily and the bracket bent on me.

Clint

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,788 Posts
I agree with @NCalFrontier in regards to the tailgate taking a long time to fully open with two EZ Downs installed.
I installed two 2nd Gen Frontier EZ Downs(Sachs Stabilus) on my 1st Gen. Here's some links to vid clips. One with single EZ Down and the other with both EZ Downs.

And in regards to the strut popping off...the easiest solution IMO is to swap the clips. OEM tailgate cable clip to the strut and the strut clip to the cable.

·
Registered
658 Posts
And, hopefully, your strut won't break like mine did. (The length of the strut was less (by about a quarter inch) than the necessary length for an open tailgate.)

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,788 Posts
I initially installed 2 kits but for whatever reason the passenger side kit would always try and pull the tailgate out of place so I had to remove it
That's exactly the issue I had. A hose clamp solved that problem.
20201019_105559.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts