Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know... I know... I'll bet this subject is both touchy and brought up every couple days but please forgive me: I'm on a seriously abbreviated timeline here. I have until Saturday morning.

Like most of you: I've been left looking at the Frontier and the Tacoma as my top choices. I'm looking at the 4cyl Tacoma and the 4cyl Frontier (SE 4x2 is a big maybe) and only in a manual transmission. Beyond the Frontier's 4cyl being depressingly slow: what can I expect?

I've read up, a lot, and found the main complaints on the Frontier have been the funny noises (engine, springs, AC pipe, steering stops, suicide doors etc...). What mechanical issues can you bring up to me or what can I expect?

As for the SE V6 4x2: is there a LSD available? I fear winter driving with that engine and no traction control.

Little history:
My current ride is an '02 Chev Cavalier. I will not buy GM again. The car was in for warranty over 10 times in the first year and I just had some more corroded wiring fixed on it. It's been nothing but a headache and I'll be glad to see it gone.

The deadline is a result of the 4cyl Tacoma. The only way I could even get one in for a test-drive was to put down a deposit and order it all conditional on the test-drive. Toyota doesn't bring many of them into Canada. It arrived a week early (i.e. it arrived today) and I'm going in Saturday morning for said test-drive.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The way I decided was to pull up the TSB's and recalls on both trucks.

The frontier has a lot better record out of all the midsize trucks on the market.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
All other things aside, my decision was made based on comfort. I did not like the way the Tacoma sat! It just was not a comfortable seating position for me. The other consideration was cost, I was comparing the NISMO to the TRD, and felt I was getting a lot more for the money with the Frontier, and my wife drives a Toyota, so I wasn't locked into the Nissan Brand when I was looking. I'd say do back to back test drives (and don't be afraid to drive the Toyota onto the Nissan lot (or vice versa) and do a side by side comparison! We did this with the Camry we bought. Pulled it right onto the Honda lot and had the salesman pull around to similarly equipped Accord and did a feature for feature comparison. And, even though we were on the Honda lot with a Honda saleman doing a full court sales press, for what we wanted (overall comfort on long trips), the Camry came out on top! Bottom line, both Toyota and Nissan make very reliable vehicles, but it's going to be your rear end spending a good number of hours behind the wheel, so finding what is going to keep the ole rear end happy should play a pretty significant role in your decision! :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
All other things aside, my decision was made based on comfort. I did not like the way the Tacoma sat! It just was not a comfortable seating position for me. The other consideration was cost, I was comparing the NISMO to the TRD, and felt I was getting a lot more for the money with the Frontier, and my wife drives a Toyota, so I wasn't locked into the Nissan Brand when I was looking. I'd say do back to back test drives (and don't be afraid to drive the Toyota onto the Nissan lot (or vice versa) and do a side by side comparison! We did this with the Camry we bought. Pulled it right onto the Honda lot and had the salesman pull around to similarly equipped Accord and did a feature for feature comparison. And, even though we were on the Honda lot with a Honda saleman doing a full court sales press, for what we wanted (overall comfort on long trips), the Camry came out on top! Bottom line, both Toyota and Nissan make very reliable vehicles, but it's going to be your rear end spending a good number of hours behind the wheel, so finding what is going to keep the ole rear end happy should play a pretty significant role in your decision! :lol:
I concure, these are the same reasons I have been driving Nissans for the past 13 yrs. I have a better confort factor in Nissans. If I felt more confortable in Taco's Id be driving one of those because when reality opens the door....they are both really very close in quality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Frontier

I've had my Frontier for 2 months and absolutley love it. I have had zero mechanical problems and zero funny noises. The Tacoma is a great truck as well, you shouldn't rush your decision, drive both trucks and find the one that fits you the best. If you test drive the V6, you won't get the 4cyl, the VQ40 kicks too much *** and it'sso much fun to drive i can almost forgive 16.5 mpg!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a drive belt squeek on me at 5000 miles, but Nissan replaced on warranty immediately, now there are no more funny noises. The only noise I hear now, is the growl of my CAI and 3inch exhaust piping down the street! Good luck with your decision, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a current Taco owner and am looking into the Frontier too.

I have a 2002 Reg. cab, 4 cyl, 5spd, 2wd truck. Im my adult life I've owned a 1992 Toy pickup, 99 S-10, and this 02' Taco currently with 80k miles on the odometer. All were 2wd, reg. cab trucks.

I drive 60+ miles each day, all highway.

Here's what I don't like about the Taco:

1. Too small for even 2 people.

2. Bad ergonomics ( radio, cup holder, too long of a reach for the clutch pedal,)

3. Flat, unsupportive bench seat. As if bench seats were ever comfortable.

4. Stiff, bumpy, jittery ride.

5. Extremely thin body panels and crappy paint compared to the Chevy. Tacos are made from tin foil and dent very easily.

All in all , a very good truck. Just not something to drive long distance. Get's 27+ mpg on the highway, hauls my kayaks, and will run forever. Just your basic transportation that will run forever and nothing more. I'm still on the original brakes too!

Things I noticed immediatley in a KC Fronty:

Nice small steering wheel, clutch pedal easier to depress, blinkers and wipers easier to reach without removing hands from wheel, radio up high so you can still see the road while messing with it, e-brake easier to reach, cup holder location, and because of the extra wheelbase and extra weight , it was a smoother ride.

Things I didnt' like with the Fronty:

Added weight+less power makes for one slow *** truck.

I'm still not convinced of the clam shell rear doors as over time they will loosen up and just make more wind noise.

I'll take another Fronty on a test drive before I make my decision, but I'm almost positive I'm going with the Nissan. My initial thoughts of the truck were that I could drive this thing cross country and still be comfortable, gain the interior room that my truck lacks now, keep the decent fuel mileage, and cruise in style.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I test-drove the 4cylinder Tacoma. It was loud and felt crude. There was a lot of engine noise, transmission noise, wind noise, road noise and the transmission gears were poorly spaced. I didn't like it and went to nissan. I drove the 2.5 and found it far too underpowered and I've decided I want the SE 4x2.

So... Is there an aftermarket LSD available for the SE 4x2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts