Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I like the tacos. I prefer the older body style to the new ones, but honestly, I like the first gen frontiers better than the second gens. I don't understand why taco owners feel like they have to bash on frontiers so much though. I guess they know that our trucks have just as many good points and bad points as theirs so they feel threatened. When my truck decides she has lived her life, I will look at tacos, frontiers, xterras and 4runners. My dad has a 4runner and I love that thing and wouldn't mind having one of my own, but I will definately do my research first. Some of those guys need a good slapping though, their trucks aren't perfect.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like the quote from the taco page that says
" When I had my Nissan, I would start it up in the morning, and nothing out of the ordinary would happen. When I start my Tacoma, I hear Angels in Heaven sing!"

to which I responded ...
"when I start my Nissan I dont hear angels singing in heaven, I hear demons screaming and trembling in fear!"

And my nissan is bone stock. :nana: hehe I had to kick a little $#!t, couldnt resist.

YouTube - Nissan Frontier vs. Toyota Tacoma by Edmunds' Inside Line

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I like Toyotas option of having 4cyl 4x4
I admit, i like how the toyota looks... over the frontier.
But the price was too high for what i was offered... truck w/ plastic bumpers... The truck was underpowered IMO, maybe at the time i wasn't driving it right? IDK. Other than the price and power, i would have gone with it. If i had a second chance, i would probably go with a 4cyl 4x4 Reg Cab... since nissan doesn't offer that option on the XE (4x4)...

Both trucks have their ups and downs. I love how we have the option of building a mid travel suspension using titan parts! Once you take the restriction off (WOT) tacomas don't have a chance in hell.....

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
They even though they are classified as midsized. They are not by any means.
It's less than 3" longer and 2" wider than our trucks (probably because of bumpers and fender flares rather than anything significant), so what makes it not seem midsized?

Granted, some of today's "midsize" trucks are not that far off from yesterday's "fullsize" one's.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
When I got my Frontier, my boyfriend's uncle was like "You got a Nissan? We don't like Nissan; they're French!". I just gave him a blank stare for being an idiot and walked away.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Check out this thread. I even comented on it. Eairlier this week...I was about to jump ship, due to my truck having to many issues in to short of time. The Toyota dealer was going to give me $14K for my truck, then went to the nissan dealer, they were going to give me back every penny I spent on it! All $17,500! Or hook me up with a bumper to bumper warrenty for super cheep. (which is what I am going to do)

Any way check this thread out, The funny thing is how many people say there motor tick's!

What do you DISLIKE about your Tacoma? - Tacoma World Forums

·
Registered
226 Posts
i find the "vs" thing idiotic, sure its cool to read the pros/cons but some people take it way toooooo seriously. as an example i was at a truck accessory shop lookin over some covers, some idiot 25yr old looked at my Fronty and started snickering, and he starts pointing at his TACO TRD Off Road and said, "that sir is a truck" i don't even bother responding, i'm too old for this sh*t!

hahahahahahahahahaahaha

i don't know i think its silly. Honestly, I like the looks of the Fronty a lot better than the Taco. Just my opinion! Also love the track system in the bed. but i don't go out of my way to dis a Taco on an internet forum...let alone in person...

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
if I were you I would have been,"Really, because if it was a truck it wouldn't need someone saying it was"
or something catchy

·
Registered
225 Posts
I tried the Taco first. I test drove one. Saying that: my mom had a camery, and my inlaws had 2 generations of camery. The Taco felt like I was driving a camery. If i wanted a car I would have gotten a car, and it would not have been a soft weak family hauler...

Bonus to Nissan: they have always taken care of me, they got the payment I wanted, they took in my 03 SE-R SpecV with 125,000+ miles, bumper falling off(5Min appoxy fixed that the night before I went into negaotiate), new motor at 105,000 miles(under warrenty thanks Nissan!), gave me another 100,000 warranty for the fronty. And it drives like a truck!

Plus My father in law had an insider at the Toyato dealer and he still would not deal with us, and I was ready to walk out that night with the truck. They didnt even want to negotiate I was all ready to do it and spend the freakin day to do it. Nissan: I was out in 2 hours with keys to MY new truck, happy as could be, plus they let me drive it over the weekend to think about it before I came in and started the negotiation process.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've been a professional design consultant for almost a decade and I can say with reasonable authority (in my own universe) that the Tacoma is a design nightmare.

While the two trucks certainly perform within a hairs reach of one another in virtually everything - the Tacoma doesn't seem to have the same focus on plain old body design.

If you look at the Frontier in terms of standardizing lines on the body, then following up with the same rectilinear shapes (boxes & squares; very bigrig-ish) the entire effect is one of continuity and focused, purposeful follow-through with clear design cues.

The Tacoma on the other hand is a random collection of eggy-shapes, cut lines, scoops, cheap looking stickers and fuss which basically destroys any semblance of design continuity and makes the truck look like some botched transformers project. Literally, it looks like the edges are melting off the truck, similar to the lines of a 86 Camry. 'All eggy' is not all good and 1986 styles should be left to the history books.

While the interior/plastic materials may be a shade higher quality, the design woes get even worse when actually entering and sitting inside the Tacoma's cab. Believe me I drove three different models to convonce myself that it really was this poorly designed. The seats are up too high and at a weird angle, the dashboard is too close, the steering wheel is too close, all surfaces are similarly rounded and eggy for no apparent reason (other than to melt all square edges, preserving the '86-eggy theme); all conspiring to make the Tacoma feel small inside and look design-confused everywhere.

Performance aside - the Tacoma is just plain fugly from any perspective.

·
Registered
826 Posts
All I can say is I love my 1st gen, they don't make them like that anymore, my main pet peeve why I won't by anything newer than a 04 is they dont have the manual 4X4, its a switch and thats it not a fan it just don't do it for me. It feels too much like my moms suv.....not a fan.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I test drove a frontier, colorado and tacoma...

colorado - the price was right for sure, but not the truck for me...

Tacoma - seemed flimsy, could feel the flex, plastic bed not for me... engine noisey as hell in upper rpms

Frontier - less flex it seemed over the bumps and felt like a truck, power was smooth, more torque it felt, and def had more top end than the tacama...

The fresh hail dents I have all over the hood and roof!
I will say - nissan used soem decent sheetmetal in my truck - not a single ding in it and the cars next to me in the lot at work after a bad hailstorm here were banged up pretty bad...

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
wait, none of you read far enough to see the post by a guy who has an '00 taco and his bro (or cousin, whatever, I read it last night) has an '06 Frontier and the taco guy says his '00 is way better, then comments about torsion bars as though the frontier has them...

then again, there are a few over here who defend nissan just as much...

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
i like tacomas, i almost bought a 2004 trd king cab but the price was just insane for a (at the time) compact pick up. i drove back to nissan and found my truck for about 10k less. sure the quality may have been a tad better in the taco but not 10k more better plus IMO i think my first gen frontier looks a tad bit better then the first gen tacomas, plus mt n/a 3.3 didn't feel any different than the 3.4 in the toyota. i don't know why frontier and tacoma owners just can't accept the fact that both trucks are about the same, guess its sorta like the classic chevy vs ford battle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the prices during the months of April on Tacos were more reasonable since sales halted on trucks. I think they are even better right now as a few dealers around me still have the same stock of Tacos as they had since April and the 2010s are on the lot so... they have like 6 2009 SR5 Tacos (no TRDs) and 2 2010 SR5s so...i'd assume they are gonna deal now.

but i remember around Feb when I was just looking at Tacos the sales guys always said they wouldn't work with me on the price. Just the incentive that's it... I was interested in the TRD Off Road but felt the price was just way tooooo high for a mid-sized truck. I did look at the SR5s and considered them but again the price and what you get...i test drove a bunch of them and they were whatever, nothing stood out. I just kinda jumped on the bandwagon with "Toyo quality can't be beat" but it wasn't until a co-worker told me "Take a very good look at the Fronty you might just change your mind on that Taco..." I am glad I did.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dont street race, but ive had a few crazy encounters with Tacoma owners and always smoke them if they are stock. Stock for stock and a good driver, Frontier is more powerful. Toyota has way better aftermarket though, so TRD tacomas can be nice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
IMO Tacoma and Frontier are basicly the same truck. I chose Nissan because the frame on the Frontier is so solid. Also, everyone around here drives a Tacoma so it's nice to have something different, stands out a little. Tacoma is definatley my enemy for now when I see them on the road, but it's all in fun. People just take it too seriously, I mean, none of us designed or built these trucks, we just bought them. I always feel a little awkward when people tell me they like my truck, should I say thank you? I just shelled out a s*** load of doe for it, I didn't create it or anything. Cool thread tho, always nice to play "the mine is better than yours" game. All I can say is, I love my Fronty!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
How did know one read the thread that I found? It's all the dirt on toco's.

The thing that I got fom it is this, We have better thought out lay out. Better arm rest position, dash is in the correct place, and so on. But we break stuff more often then the tacos do. IMO. READ THIS!

What do you DISLIKE about your Tacoma? - Tacoma World Forums
I like the post that says "tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick..." Not that our trucks don't tick a bit too:)

21 - 40 of 67 Posts