Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...anyone know? This is for the newest model Tacos...and the newest model Frontiers...

·
Registered
261 Posts
kilago said:
Just curious...anyone know? This is for the newest model Tacos...and the newest model Frontiers...
They don't a buddy of mine has a 2005 taco and when he pulled my tailgate down he said he was not ready for the weight so I went to go fill his tailgate and it was imo a lot lighter

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder what the reasoning behind the heavy tailgate is? Seems like Nissan could've saved some money and materials lightening the tailgate by maybe 50 pounds...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wonder what the reasoning behind the heavy tailgate is?
Not only is the Frontier a great truck, it provides a great workout to! Thus, have fun building the biceps.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
kilago said:
I wonder what the reasoning behind the heavy tailgate is? Seems like Nissan could've saved some money and materials lightening the tailgate by maybe 50 pounds...
lots of people USE their tailgates for work tables, the wheels of motorcycles
rest on tailgates.people use them all the time for many reasons.

i am glad my tailgate is heavier

·
Registered
551 Posts
The 05 Taco's have a composite bed,stands to reason the tailgates made from the same composite material. BTW I had a 96 Dodge Ram and the tailgate was just as heavy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
50 lbs was an exaggeration...but RDNF, what do you mean by "use" the tailgate? Do you mean they take the tailgate off the truck? I can't see how having it heavier makes it better for any of the uses you mentioned...

My main gripe is when people open my tailgate, and BOOM it falls and then they go, "why the hell is the tailgate so heavy?" :evil:

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
kilago said:
My main gripe is when people open my tailgate, and BOOM it falls and then they go, "why the hell is the tailgate so heavy?" :evil:
that's why I keep mine locked.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tried it...the taco tailgate is like every other Toyota tailgate in the past-wimpy :lol: Very light ,made of metal,I think.
I like the solid feel of our heavy gate...I use it for a workbench alot :wink:
Jay

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I read in a magazine doining a comparision between the two that the fronty was 200 kg (440 ld) heavier over all. Lucky we have a more powerfull engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anybody felt the tailgate on the 04+ F-150? I don't think it is whimpy by any means but they installed "torsion bars" I think is what they call them, they make the gate feel like nothing. Wish our trucks had that!

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Haha... glad I didnt get the Taco. Also, a heavier tailgate wont bounce around while going down the road if its open. Thats just ridiculous that their tailgates are bending though! Come to think of it, my friend has an '00 Taco and its slightly bent and one of the cables broke on it.

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
It is unfortunate that Toyota skimped on the tailgate. That is what makes a truck a truck to many people!! I'm am glad that the Frontiers tailgate is built sturdy and I'll just deal with the weight. We can always try to get this company www.ezdown.com to make their tailgate system for the Frontiers by emailing them!!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I think this Tacoma owner sums it up best:

I am disappointed. This is my first truck and between the plastic bed, the paper-thin tailgate and those weak-*** tie down/cleats, I worry about what I can put in it.

I guess worse case scenario, when a friend asks me to help him move, I can always say, "My truck isn't actually a work truck, it just plays one on TV."

·
Registered
48 Posts
joef711 said:
Be glad it's heavier. Here's a couple threads regarding the 05+ taco's pathetically weak tailgate. This pretty much sealed the deal in my decision to make my next truck the Frontier (I carry motorcycles all the time).
I just bought a huge azz wooden swingset for my kids, the four boxes it came in weighed just under 1,000lbs. Had to unload them by myself at home so I just slide them off the tailgate, have a feeling that if I had a Taco a few of those boxes would have deformed it.

When I was checking out trucks, one of the things I hated about the Taco was how wimpy the tailgate was.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Should we be mean and all post pics on toyotanation w/ a group of people standing on our tailgates? :lol: :lol:

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
bwarren228 said:
Should we be mean and all post pics on toyotanation w/ a group of people standing on our tailgates? :lol: :lol:
I know you're kidding but we should just leave them alone. :roll:. We don't need any "Who's bigger?, Who's better?" wars to go on between them and us. As we all know this will start the trolling, and I hate forum trolls!! :evil:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I agree! Besides, after reading the posts on Toyota Nation, they already know their tailgates are a POS, so we wouldn't be telling them anything they don't already know!

I actually feel sorry for them, such a short coming must be a pretty huge ding in thier otherwise over inflated egos! Any taunting on their site is sure to start another troll migration... :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
bwarren228 said:
Sure - then they can post pics of how easy it is for them to remove the oil filter. :lol:

The oil filter location is definately 100x better in the Taco than the Fronty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts