Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any information about what Nissan advises about Synthetic Oil? I want to start changing my own oil and I also want to switch to synthetic oil but I don't want to void my warranty either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
synthetic oil will not void your warranty, we had a lot of customer at work that using synthetic oil. oil is oil as long you follow oil/filter change interval.

i've been using synthetic oil on my frontier since 1st service and now i got 28k and still using it...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've been using Mobile 1 5w-30 and the Mobile 1 M-110 filter since the 500 mile mark. I called the dealer just to cover myself and the service manager said if I drove it home it had enough miles on it to switch to synthetic. I've always heard mixed stories on how soon was too soon due to engine break in, but the dealer said if I had a problem they would cover it as long as I had receipts for what I put in. 7500 miles now and 0 problems.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use regular oil and my truck is doing great. If you want to pay the premium for synthetic oil, fine, but in my experience, if you use regular oil and change it religiously, most Japanese vehicles go for 200,000 plus miles. That's proof enough for me!

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
From what I know, if you work your engine hard (such as frequent towing, frequent offroading or just plain leadfoot disease :lol: ) synthetic oil is way more protective of your engine. Conventional oil tends to breakdown quicker at higher tempertures, therefore not really lubricating the engine as good as a synthetic in harder worked engines. But as chargedup05 said if you drive under normal conditions and change the oil religiously synthetic oil is actually a waste of money.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lead foot you say, hmm, maybe I should invest in some synthetic oil? :)

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
chargedup05 said:
Lead foot you say, hmm, maybe I should invest in some synthetic oil? :)
For my next oil change I will be switching over to a synthetic blend(I have quite a leadfoot too 8) ). Synthetic blends actually have a viscocity index (measurement of rate of change of the oil viscosity) close to full synthetic at half the price.

This website is actually very informative on the ins and outs of the synthetic/dino oils:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motoroil.html

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Im running mobil 7500 5w30 in my truck and I like the fact is almost the same as the full synthetic and half the price.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I forgot one thing. I also change the Mobile 1 every 2500-3000. Call me crazy but I'm like that. My first changes were at 500,1500,3000 then every 3000. I've always done this with freshly rebuilt engines in my track cars so it kinda stuck I guess.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yeah i'm the same way,i'm planning on changing mine at 2000 intervals.Thats what i done on my last ride.Being it was a turbo engine the oil looked used up at 3000 so i started changing at 2000.This way i don't feel bad when i run it hard. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have always used synthetic in all my cars after first oil change with no issues.

Also FYI~
To allow for proper break in of the engine, Royal Purple® recommends waiting until the manufacturer's first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 2,000 miles in new gasoline engines. Allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles before using Royal Purple® in diesel engines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use the euro Castrol (GC) 0W-30 with Baldwin oil filter. You can go http://www.bobistheoilguy.com for more info on GC. Didn't switch to synthetic till about 10K miles. I also use Blackstone oil analysis to determine oil change intervals. Started at 4K intervals, and they are recommending go up to 5.5K and testing again as the oil was in great shape and had not started to degrade at all. I've found that using oil analysis to determine change intervals is the best way to go b/c then you have test results that prove the oil was in good shape when you changed it. Once I figure out the correct interval (my guess is somewhere around 7K) then I usually only test 1x a year or so, just to make sure there are no problems. Figure if I am going to use Synthetic for better gas mileage and more protection, why not optimize the change intervals, and if it is safe to go a little longer, do that and realize some extra savings on oil changes. Very happy with the results so far as my gas mileage is up around 21 mpg for combined driving.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
tennvolfan said:
Anybody have any information about what Nissan advises about Synthetic Oil? I want to start changing my own oil and I also want to switch to synthetic oil but I don't want to void my warranty either.
I read a bunch of posts here on ClubFrontier, and one of the members said their dealer told them the only Nissan Approved Synthetic was Elf Oil.

http://www.elfoil.com.au/

·
Registered
338 Posts
I use mobil 1 FULL Synthetic and a Pure One filter. intervals are 12,000 miles would go longer but it gets hot here in Florida.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
igbar said:
I read a bunch of posts here on ClubFrontier, and one of the members said their dealer told them the only Nissan Approved Synthetic was Elf Oil.

http://www.elfoil.com.au/
I would say its because there a sponsor of the Renault racing teams

Renault / Nissan Shared Goals

ELF has developed a new-generation 5W-30 lubricant to meet specifications drawn up jointly by Renault and Nissan. This is the only low-saps lubricant to have been chosen by both carmakers, and will be delivered in industrial quantities from April 2005.

From a technical standpoint, the alliance sealed between Renault and Nissan in March 1999 involves increasingly close cooperation between both partner firms in efforts to develop, use and share mechanical components. The engine and gearbox are the two main areas concerned.

For example, Nissan’s 3.5l V6 engine powers the Renault Vel Satis and Espace. Renault’s 1.5l dCi engine powers the Nissan Almera and Micra. This close relationship has in turn prompted the two carmakers to draw up joint lubricant specifications. In the category of oils with low sulphated-ash, phosphorus and sulphur content (or Low-SAPS oils) for vehicles with latest-generation after-treatment systems (particle filters), Renault-Nissan has only chosen one lubricant to date, the 5W-30 oil offered by ELF. The oil is the fruit of two years of work by the Research Centre in Solaize and ELF product engineers. And its technology is nothing short of revolutionary. Deliveries to Renault’s plant in Cleon (France) and, via Idemitsu, to Nissan’s plant in Yokohama (Japan) will start in mid 2005 (by that time this new type of lubricant will have a trade name, too).

·
Registered
439 Posts
is any one running synthetic in there manual tranny and rear diff?
In the rear for me, opps, that don't sound right:nana:
Mobil 1

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe the rear diff on my 06 4.0L manual trans contains synthetic from the factory and specifies synthetic only for fluid replacement. I read it in the service manual, however I don't have access to it right now for confirmation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, Nissan specifies synthetic for the rear. I run synthetic throughout the entire truck. Even the power steering, although I haven't noticed any improvement in mpg what so ever, just did it hoping the truck would last longer. Redline throughout; 75w-140 for the rear, ATF+4 for the transfer case, MT-90 for the 6 spd, 75W-90 for the frontend, and Redline power steering fluid for the....well, you get the picture. I wasn't really sure what to run in the tranny and transfer case, so I emailed Redline with what Nissan specifies, and they recommended what I just listed...Have a good one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
AMSOIL Fully Synthetic here. 25,000 miles or 1 year oil change intervals (with AMSOIL filter).

If you are gonna do synthetic, so fully synthetic. Everyone thinks they are getting a bargain on the blends, but you just dont get that much more mileage out of them.

It costs me $70 per oil change (do it myself) with AMSOIL, with the required change intervals it equals out to about the same $$$ as conventional BUT its better for my engine.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts