Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know do a search right? But I have and have not found. So here we are.

So for everyone that is running the synthetic oil, here is my stupid questions of the day...

Being synthetic, you go longer between oil changes - I understand this
Has anyone found an oil filter that goes the same distance as the oil, without having to change the filter and top off the oil?

Other Stupid question of the day-

If you use the oem (?) Nissan oil filters, where do you get/order yours and what has your basic price in your area been?

Just a side note but are the (OEM) Nissan oil filters any more special than other top brands. Kinda like toyota's have the whole check valve, like other top brands also have.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I know do a search right? But I have and have not found. So here we are.

So for everyone that is running the synthetic oil, here is my stupid questions of the day...

Being synthetic, you go longer between oil changes - I understand this
Has anyone found an oil filter that goes the same distance as the oil, without having to change the filter and top off the oil?

Other Stupid question of the day-

If you use the oem (?) Nissan oil filters, where do you get/order yours and what has your basic price in your area been?

Just a side note but are the (OEM) Nissan oil filters any more special than other top brands. Kinda like toyota's have the whole check valve, like other top brands also have.

Thanks

Just go to a NAPA store, and buy their synthetic oil and gold oil filter. They should both be good for 7,500 miles or more. I wouldn't want to run my synthetic oil/filter more than a year or 12,000 miles. If not, you can go through Amsoil, which is a bit more pricier but worth it in my opinion. They have synthetic oil/filter that can go as far as 25,000 miles. OEM filters are not to be trusted, after tested studies. Last time i heard, the internal design of a OEM filter matched up similarly to a Fram oil filter. The OEM oil filters today, are made from China. Just depends on your driving condition. If you are easy on the pedal, then your oil/filter doesn't need to be changed that often. If your heavy on the foot and make the engine work, your oil is going to need changing more frequently.

Oh, and one of our sponsors, has a site in which you can purchase OEM oil filters from.
Never mind, he isn't a sponsor. I thought he was. I can't remember the website, but a guy by the name of Justin used to work for the company. Maybe somebody could refresh my mind.

Ah, found it. Google Nismo shop. Or you can always go through courtesy nissan. Searching is a good idea, but i don't know if it's worth buying online if you could just drive to the dealer. Quality of the filter sucks, just wait for a sale from NAPA. I remember them selling oil filters for 1/3 of the regular price sometime in october.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, getting sick of the oil changes every 3g. So I've spent alot of time searching over the synthetic and how it lasts longer. Napa by me has a Valvoline Synpower deal right now for the 5pluss jug and filter, but the filter is a fram tough guard and I have heard many times that fram is no good. I also read here that napa brand is valvoline, just not sure which one it would match up to as per the valvoline brand. This round switching over I will go with that deal and then probubly switch over to the napa gold and continue with the valvoline synpower. After all said and done, I'll have to split them both in half and see the difference inside. Anyway just trying to get the most info before doing the switch. Thanks

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i ran fram filters for years with no problems, only reason i switched was i went to mobil 1 extended and change my oil every 8-10k miles. so i use the M1 filter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ehh as far as the check valve almost all filters will have this for our trucks. As far as fram goes i wouldnt put it on my lawn mower. Sence day one i have ran Royal Purple and a Wix Filter until now. MY Orillys auto has 5 quarts of royal purple and a knn filter for 40 bucks which cant be beat.... I normaly got 6k miles and change but i have a very heavy foot.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on that study im thinking no fram bullet proof or original styles :) - Budget wise im thinking the wix or napa gold, not that there was but a slight difference. I've searched forever trying to figure out if valvoline synpower is the same as nampa synthetic, wish they had a chart like above to compare. Good study though

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i use mobile 1 oil and filter. or k & n if theyre on sale. i go about 5000 mikes, could probably go a little more because i drive failry conservatively. its still looks pretty decent, i.e. not black still a dark gold color.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I been using mobile1 Synthetic for about 6months. They say it goes for 15,000 miles, I change my oil every 7,500 miles, Still clean when i change oil(Not black, Dark-Goldish). Also use mobile1 oil filter and change it every 7,500 too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 5W-30 or 5W-30 EP and NAPA Gold filters for many years. In my 2007 Fronty, they work great. I prefer the NAPA filter (actually a Wix) to the Nissan filter made in China. I am still under warranty, put about 10,000 miles/year on the truck and change twice a year (5000 miles).

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
ah-ha ...

Mobile 1 5w30 guy here.
For us Canadian guys ... cheapest prices are at Wally-world, believe it or not. Most likely the same deal for our American friends ...

41.50 for 5 litres

D-mo

·
Registered
584 Posts
The Fram Tough Guards aren't bad filters, it's their bottom level filter you need to avoid. Just buy whatever synthetic is on sale, buy whatever decent filter is on sale, and change your oil half as often. It's that simple.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After Break In 1200 Miles I Put Mobil 1 5w30 With The M1-110 Filter And Have Been Doing That Since Then And I Go 5000 Miles. Have Been Doing That Since After Break In And currently Have 102000 Miles On A 2006 Frontier With The VQ40 It Has Never Been Black When I Change It Always Still On The Brown Side.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I Run Mobil1 And Factory Nissan Filter....i Still Change My Oil Every 3000miles...ive Seen What Happens To Some Of Those Engines When People Think They Are Running "extended Life Oil Because Its Synthetic"...i Paid $2x,xxx For The Truck, Oil Change Is Cheap Insurance...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts