Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
It can never hurt to run the best in your engine. I run Mobil 1 synthetic myself in my TItan. I wouldn't run anything else.
M4ck

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Redright9's got a point. . Sometimes you can get a 3 fer deal at the dealer. Nothin' wrong with Mobil 1, K & N, or a Napa gold, tho. I'd avoid Fram.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Purolatar filters are supposed to be good.

I don't think it's overkill to put synthetic in your '05. The Mobil 1 web site says a few manufacturers ship their cars with Mobil 1 in brand new engines.

I've also heard good things about Amsoil. 100% designed and produced in USA; it's a little pricier than Mobil 1 though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah, I like Amsoil, too. They're the only supplier of GL-4 synthetic, for my '01 tranny, that I could find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
robher27 said:
is it overkill to put this in a 2005 XE with a 4 cylinder?
.. not sure about the 4 cylinder.. but the 4.0L has molychomium (sp?) coated piston ring.. it has been our experience that anything with a smooth surface ring doesnt seat as well with synthetic oil and you run the risk of blowby in higher mileage. you can use it.. but if you find a knowledgeable nissan tech.. they will probably tell you it isnt neccesary and would be overkill.. so if that is true for the v-6 i wouldnt worry about it in the 4 cly. unless you plan on only changing every 7500 then i would use synthetic... just my $.02

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks for the link, jojo. I've used their bearing grease for years. Never thought of them as a source for synthetics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
what about royal purple? i have used it in the past and love it. also what weight oil should i use in my 2000 3.3l with 72,000 miles on it? thanks for any advice :?:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Royal purple's ok for the engine, but I'd avoid it in a standard tranny. They state that it's ok for a GL- 4, but it's still rated at GL-5. Weight? Whatever the factory recommends.

Trodd: you mentioned that the 4.0 had chrome rings. Any idea on the 3.3 s/c rings?

BTW, I ran 25K, w/2K oil changes, before I went w/synthetic. Probably just a bit of old school break in there. Pushin the amsoil to 12K, w/a good oil filter, now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts