Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking of switching to a full synthetic motor oil next oil change. probably castrol edge or another leading synthetic. my 04 frontier has 52,000 miles on it. has anyone run into issues switching to a full synthetic after this many miles? my old car was a 99 audi a4 and i had huge oil leaks after switching to a full synthetic. (mechanic blames the oil...) but that car was crap anyways so not sure that was its only issue. i dont want to put my truck through the same issues, please let me know if anyone would recommend against the switch...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Welcome to the club!!! :D

Please see this thread as this topic has been beaten to death. Synthetic should be fine even if you have 60k miles. As long as you change your oil at recommend periods you should be good to go. :) Be sure to thank the person that searched all the threads out for others to enjoy. ;)

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/synthetic-oil-47644/

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
the reason your other car leaked oil after the switch was because the seals had gone bad and just got clogged with the sludge from the dino oil. when you switched to syn it cleaned the sludge and showed you where the problems actually were. i switched a 94 Z28 to syn at around the 65k mark and never had a problem. as VG said, as long as you have changed the oil regularly you should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to both of you. ill have to check out that thread. i keep up on the oil changes on my truck so everything should work out.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
IDK much about the first gens but if its not to much of a hassle i would pull a valve cover and see what they look like. if there clean inside you should be GTG, BUT if there is gunk you may want to rethink the switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I switched my 00 CC around 160,000 miles to all synthetic (engine, trans, diffs) and everything became noticably smoother. No leaks, no complaints. Should've done it sooner.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Switched mine at 62,000, no problems since. Actually quieted the normal 4 cylinder valve noises. Underneath the valve cover was squeaky clean before the change and I wanted to keep it that way:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts