Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the end of an era. I totaled my truck out the other night and really want to switch it up. Thinking Jeep Wrangler. Anyone got any ideas? I loved my frontier. Rang up over 100k miles only on maintenance. They've earned my respect. It's just time for something different.im feeling froggy
Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Automotive side marker light

Car Land vehicle Jeans Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2012 Crew Cab S 4x4,
482 Posts
I would like to get a Jeep too, but the wrangler only has a 2000lb towing capacity, won't work for me. sorry about your truck, hope your OK

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I tow is a 17ft bass boat so I'm good in that aspect. I know there cold in the winters and hot in the summer. I know there loud asf on interstates and don't drive very well.. I want to give my kids the top off/doors off experience I had when I was a kid with my dad.. To a kid, there's nothing cooler than riding around like that.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The only thing I tow is a 17ft bass boat so I'm good in that aspect. I know there cold in the winters and hot in the summer. I know there loud asf on interstates and don't drive very well.. I want to give my kids the top off/doors off experience I had when I was a kid with my dad.. To a kid, there's nothing cooler than riding around like that.
I completely get the nostalgia thing, but kids grow up ( trust me, waaay to fast as mine are now 18 and 20 ), and when they're not on-board, you have loud, hot & cold, to live with always. If you're cool with that, pull the trigger, at the end of the day, it's your truck, love it or hate it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry about your truck, but glad you survived and hopefully there were no injuries.

I had a '98 Jeep TJ and would love to have another. It was my daily driver for quite a while, and I'd go back to one if I didn't need the towing capacity - I could get by with a small utility trailer to substitute for the (minimal) bed space of the Frontier. I really miss the topless - and doorless - driving, and the off road capability.

Just a few things to consider when it comes to Jeep vs. Nissan:

--Reliability - Jeeps, especially if you're looking at a used JK with the 3.8L engine, are not nearly as reliable as a Nissan. The 3.6L seems to be better, haven't heard anything about the new turbo'd 4-cylinder.
--Security - Soft top Jeeps are impossible to keep unwanted people out of, and any scumbag with a pocket knife will gain entry in seconds (ask me how I know...two cut windows that the @$$hole could have just unzipped to get in). There are products that can secure small items (Tuffy consoles and trunks), but it's something to think about.
--Noise - Even with a hard top the Jeep will be noisy, but I wasn't too bothered by it with mine and the soft top. The newer soft tops have improved greatly and aren't quite as noisy.
--Drivability - With straight axles front and rear, a Jeep is not going to be as good on the road as the Frontier, ride as smooth, etc., but again, I didn't mind when it was stock or mildly lifted. Once I modded it more heavily (4" lift, 35" tires, Currie Antirock swaybar, Detroit Lockers at both ends) it became less "streetable." I still drove it on the street but it was a handful. Not sure if you'll mod it but it's something to consider.

Had the Gladiator been available when I bought my Frontier I would have looked hard at one of those. They have comparable towing capacity and bed size, but gives the option to go topless if you want. Not sure how the pricing is compared to a new Frontier, but that might be a good alternative to 2- or 4-door Wrangler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Howdy,
I traded my Jeep Gladiator in on my Nissan. The Jeep was an electronic bomb waiting to explode. It has far more electronics than I need. One of the biggest future problem was that It had 2 batteries. One was mounted below the main one down in the fender well. Good Luck!!!!!!

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,698 Posts
Glad you are okay from that accident - these Nissans keep people safe. Jeeps have never been an appeal to me, we get far too much rain and wind here. I rented one a few years ago while on business and I couldn't get used to seeing the hood stretching up when a semi passed me going the other way and the straight windshield view I had difficulty adjusting to. Where I live, you are not allowed to remove the doors and drive on the street, so one less option. Anyways, best of luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
2022,White Frontier CC Pro 4X
36 Posts
I would like to get a Jeep too, but the wrangler only has a 2000lb towing capacity, won't work for me. sorry about your truck, hope your OK
The 4 door wrangler will tow 3500 lbs. I had a JKU traded it 8 years and 140K on. traded for 17500. Great Jeep the new JLU will tow the same. I think it’s go up from 2000 to 3500 lbs because of the wheel base length. For a daily driver I like the Frontier better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really contemplating on a ole reliable TJ, 4in lift and 33's. Basically your everyday standard Jeep. For some reason I've never been a fan of the 4 door Jeep's. To each their own.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have you driven one yet? I've had a Yj, Tj, and 2 JKs (1 3.6, 1 3.8). All 2 dr, all manual transmissions. To me, they are fun if you don't HAVE to drive them. The appeal gets old really quick dealing with them every day, especially a lifted one on larger (heavier) tires. You'll pay quite a bit for a nice one, but at least they do hold their value well for when you sell it. Take the back seat out and there is actually some room back there. Hard top is highly recommended especially if you plan to daily it. Good luck, the 4.0l is a great motor, but it's really hard to find a nice older wrangler these days that hasn't been beat and rusty, even down south.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My 4x4 wheelbase keep getting longer. Jeep cj7, then Cherokee, then Xterra, now we just buy trucks. The short wheelbases ride like buckhorses on concrete pavement, spin around fast on snow, ice or wet. And don’t handle turns as well.
Add Jeep ridiculous prices, poor reliability in the past, and discomfort. No thanks.
But when younger a top off CJ was a ton of fun!

·
Registered
2019 CC 4x4 SV
246 Posts
I had a 2002 TJ. Loved it. Should have kept it, but needed more towing capacity. Wife still has her 97 and loves it, but I find the auto a bit boring. Hers came with a hard top. We sold it pretty quick. Didn't care for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand all the downsides. This won't be a permanent switch. Maybe just a few years or long enough to regret it. Lol. I know there not practical everyday drives. I just want to have fun with the kids while they're young.

·
Registered
2018 SV Midnight Edition + 2008 Avalon XL
283 Posts
If you want a jeep but like a truck, why not a Gladiator?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I'd get a Gladiator with 39 inch tires and make some awesome memories

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
324 Posts
If I lived in a place where I needed or used 4WD every day on bad roads, a Jeep would be a vehicle of choice. Other than that, they are really impractical vehicles. I see many here in Long Island where they are never off pavement. Puzzles me as to why that vehicle but people just buy into the need for a rugged off road vehicle they will never take off road. Not cheap either and they have mediocre reliability ratings. The Gladiator at least has the advantage of being a pick up, but just absurdly expensive. Seems your adding $10,000 just for the Jeep name.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts