Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have wondered about this. will it screw things up if i change from conventional to synthetic oil in the motor and diffs and such? i have heard both sides. thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
The only thing I found with changing to synthetic is that with an older vehicle, if you have some oil leaking, after synthetic, you'll have a lot more leaking. It flows much easier, so ensure your gaskets are all good. I've found no problems with diffs at all.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I dont think it will hurt anything other than it may open up some leaks that were plugged by sludge before.
Also, if your planning on switching to go longer between oil changes, consider that the oil is going to get very dirty the first several oil changes as it cleans the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I switched to synthetic both in the motor and the diff when I had about 25k miles on my truck. I now have 45k miles on it and have had no problems associated with the switch.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is a dumb question but why does everyone switch to synthetic? it lasts longer and performes better?

·
Registered
839 Posts
this is a dumb question but why does everyone switch to synthetic? it lasts longer and performes better?
Thats exactly why, I switched to royal purple then Amsoil and its been running great, unfortunatly now I just found out that my truck has a leak which i'm pretty sure origionated from the oil filter. Not too happy about that right now, its leaking quite a bit...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have used Mobil One in all my stuff for years now. It works well for me, but if it can leak it will, just how it is with the stuff. Speaking of synthetic what about Royal Purple, and Amsoil are they that much better than M1?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have used Mobil One in all my stuff for years now. It works well for me, but if it can leak it will, just how it is with the stuff. Speaking of synthetic what about Royal Purple, and Amsoil are they that much better than M1?
Oil is a very touchy subject with many people...it's the politics and religion of car enthusiasts...

So, here's my opinion on it...

Myself, I use Mobil1.

Is it the best - who knows...but I've seen a track record with useage with my own vehicles that speaks volumes to me.
Is it readily available anywhere, Yes
Is it cheaper than AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Redline, and the like? Yes

The bottom line for me, is that if you change it when you're supposed to, AND use a quality oil filter, it won't matter what oil you use.

Now, as for me, I use Mobil1's Extended Perfomance 15K oil, and Mobil1's oil filter, and I change my oil every spring (Feb/March, when the weather starts warming up)

I'm on a 370z forum, where oil is debated over and over again. Some guys swearing by Nissan's special oil that they put out for the VQ37VHR engine (which has nano-carbon bits in it that are supposed to interact with the DLC coating on the eccentric shafts (that replace the cams) in those engines. Other guiys swearing by Redline, or Motul, or AMSOIL...saying that the high ester content/base is what makes it better...even though esters are known to absorb more moisture (and racing oils in general are designed to be changed out WAY more often than what a non-race car would be...)

So, in the end...choose the oil you want to use. Change it when you should. Get a blackstone labs test done on it before you do extend the mileage on your oil changes, and once you come up with a system that works for you, stick to it. Get it tested again at soem point later to see if you need to adjust it. ($33.50 and they tell you how much of the additive package is left over, ie, how worn out the oil is)

Anyhow...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oil is a very touchy subject with many people...it's the politics and religion of car enthusiasts...

So, here's my opinion on it...

Myself, I use Mobil1.

Is it the best - who knows...but I've seen a track record with useage with my own vehicles that speaks volumes to me.
Is it readily available anywhere, Yes
Is it cheaper than AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Redline, and the like? Yes

The bottom line for me, is that if you change it when you're supposed to, AND use a quality oil filter, it won't matter what oil you use.

Now, as for me, I use Mobil1's Extended Perfomance 15K oil, and Mobil1's oil filter, and I change my oil every spring (Feb/March, when the weather starts warming up)

I'm on a 370z forum, where oil is debated over and over again. Some guys swearing by Nissan's special oil that they put out for the VQ37VHR engine (which has nano-carbon bits in it that are supposed to interact with the DLC coating on the eccentric shafts (that replace the cams) in those engines. Other guiys swearing by Redline, or Motul, or AMSOIL...saying that the high ester content/base is what makes it better...even though esters are known to absorb more moisture (and racing oils in general are designed to be changed out WAY more often than what a non-race car would be...)

So, in the end...choose the oil you want to use. Change it when you should. Get a blackstone labs test done on it before you do extend the mileage on your oil changes, and once you come up with a system that works for you, stick to it. Get it tested again at soem point later to see if you need to adjust it. ($33.50 and they tell you how much of the additive package is left over, ie, how worn out the oil is)

Anyhow...
Like you I have had **** luck with M1, I just hear the hype on the others, and wondered.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The only thing I found with changing to synthetic is that with an older vehicle, if you have some oil leaking, after synthetic, you'll have a lot more leaking. It flows much easier, so ensure your gaskets are all good. I've found no problems with diffs at all.
Not always true. My old Mitsubishi was an oil leaker from day 1. Really got bad when I was pushin' 200k. One quart every 350miles, maybe some going past the rings, but a puddle under the truck every morning. Changed from conventional to synthetic around 220K and actually cut the leak in half. One quart every 700miles. My 2 cents.

In my '01sc I use whatever synthetic is on sale w/a quality filter. Think I'll go w/Royal Purple the next change to try to eliminate the valve clatter at start up.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not always true. My old Mitsubishi was an oil leaker from day 1. Really got bad when I was pushin' 200k. One quart every 350miles, maybe some going past the rings, but a puddle under the truck every morning. Changed from conventional to synthetic around 220K and actually cut the leak in half. One quart every 700miles. My 2 cents.

In my '01sc I use whatever synthetic is on sale w/a quality filter. Think I'll go w/Royal Purple the next change to try to eliminate the valve clatter at start up.

I talked to my local dude at the lube-x just 2 days ago and he said that he wouldn't reccomend royal purple but he knows others that swear by it, Amsoil seems to be pricier thats for sure but they also stand behind their product with a 25 000 mile/1 year guarantee if you use their oil and filter

·
Super Moderator
19,906 Posts
I talked to my local dude at the lube-x just 2 days ago and he said that he wouldn't reccomend royal purple but he knows others that swear by it, Amsoil seems to be pricier thats for sure but they also stand behind their product with a 25 000 mile/1 year guarantee if you use their oil and filter
Both oil and air filters for the Amsoil guarantee. That applies to their high performance synthetic oil.

·
Registered
985 Posts

It wasn't a leak, it was just marking it's spot :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts