Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I've read a lot of posts and I haven't really seen any that involved a successful switchblade key find. I have seen the Rogue all in one key, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

After searching ebay for different switchblade keys for the Frontier, most were generic. I found this one that had the Nissan logo cutout (without the actual logo in it) and did some research. Found one for $12.95 with free shipping, so I figured I would gamble on such a low price. After 2 weeks, I didn't receive the item and tracking showed I never received it. Contacted the seller and he sent another. A week later I got the second one. Then a week after that I got the first one...lol. Seller said keep it. I was able to program the buttons easy.

Well, I contacted a mobile keysmith. He stated $75 for each key cut & programmed. He got them cut, but couldn't program the chip... I had him cut a normal key and program...and he couldn't program it either...lol.

Went to the local Nissan dealer, they stated $128 or something like that for each key whether or not they could program...no thanks.

I had to take the truck back to the Dealer I bought from in East Tennessee for some maintenance, $50 for any amount of keys programmed! Deal. They were able to program both switchblade keys and the spare regular the mobile guy couldn't program!

Also purchased the emblem off a dealer website for $18+...for one, but now one key looks factory.

Hope this helps anyone else in the market. Well worth it in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
...those look good, do you have a link to what you got off ebay for the key fobs?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
That's cool - gives another option besides the regular Rogue Key mod.

I'm gonna guess these have a transponder (or a dummy one) inside just like the Rogue Key mod... which means if it does, you could also just swap the transponder over from the OEM Valet key and do the programming yourself per the numerous guides on the internets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool - gives another option besides the regular Rogue Key mod.

I'm gonna guess these have a transponder (or a dummy one) inside just like the Rogue Key mod... which means if it does, you could also just swap the transponder over from the OEM Valet key and do the programming yourself per the numerous guides on the internets.
I would imagine so. The transponder in the switchblade key is not easily removable, but I'm not sure if you need to remove it if you are just adding a different transponder and putting it in. Not sure if they would conflict with each other or not. That was going to be my back-up plan if the dealer couldn't program the transponder in it, have a regular key programmed and then I would cut out the chip.

I did not have a spare key and my truck was one that requires the transponder chip. I didn't think to ask the dealer if there was a spare key until after I bought it...smh.

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
I would imagine so. The transponder in the switchblade key is not easily removable, but I'm not sure if you need to remove it if you are just adding a different transponder and putting it in. Not sure if they would conflict with each other or not. That was going to be my back-up plan if the dealer couldn't program the transponder in it, have a regular key programmed and then I would cut out the chip.

I did not have a spare key and my truck was one that requires the transponder chip. I didn't think to ask the dealer if there was a spare key until after I bought it...smh.
Even though I have the Rogue Key (built-in buttons) I might buy one of these just to try it out... might actually be better in the pocket when I go mountain biking, since the Rogue key still has the blade portion sticking out to stab at my leg.

BTW the transponder doesn't have to be "cut" out, it's in a small sliding tray:

Full post here.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Even though I have the Rogue Key (built-in buttons) I might buy one of these just to try it out... might actually be better in the pocket when I go mountain biking, since the Rogue key still has the blade portion sticking out to stab at my leg.

BTW the transponder doesn't have to be "cut" out, it's in a small sliding tray:

Full post here.
My OEM 2012 key doesn't have a sliding tray, the thing is embedded. My Amazon cheapboatfromchina rogue key also has no tray. I'm going to give my opinion of 80% chance the dealer can program the transponder that comes in the switchblade. They will, of course, hem and haw and swear they can t, but they can. They will also warn you they will still charge you if they can't do it. Your call, but my dealer walked back in with the two programmed Rogue keys surprised as all get out.

For the most part, all motor vehicles across Nissan/Infiniti's brand line use the same transponder, btw.

/Edit/ Just looked at my Rogue key and realized there is a screw in the back, so it's transponder is likely accessible.

Reactions: Bladehopper82

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
My Amazon cheapboatfromchina rogue key also has no tray..

/Edit/ Just looked at my Rogue key and realized there is a screw in the back, so it's transponder is likely accessible.
I think it's safe to assume there has to be a spot for a transponder in there regardless, to work with the OEM security. Whether it's glued in or not, that's a different story heh

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do all have the transponder or just the crew cab with security?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do all have the transponder or just the crew cab with security?
From what I read, only the ones with a blinking key in car symbol on the dash (blinks when car is not on) has the transponder. I didn't read anything about CC vs KC so I don't think that matters. So if you are lucky, you may not have one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think it's safe to assume there has to be a spot for a transponder in there regardless, to work with the OEM security. Whether it's glued in or not, that's a different story heh
raine, FYI--Ordered this key and it did NOT come with a transponder. Big plus was I didn't have to dig the transponder out of the switchblade key. All I had to do was put transponder that came out of my valet key into the empty transponder bay. I like this switchblade key better than the old "Rogue" key..

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
raine, FYI--Ordered this key and it did NOT come with a transponder. Big plus was I didn't have to dig the transponder out of the switchblade key. All I had to do was put transponder that came out of my valet key into the empty transponder bay. I like this switchblade key better than the old "Rogue" key..

If I read it right, Bladehopper82 said he didn't bring a spare key and the dealer programmed the blade key. So either his version came with a transponder, or the dealer put one in. This is why I guessed that there had to be a spot for the transponder in there somewhere.

Thanks for the pic though... shows exactly where the transponder goes. I might order one of these blade keys now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I read it right, Bladehopper82 said he didn't bring a spare key and the dealer programmed the blade key. So either his version came with a transponder, or the dealer put one in. This is why I guessed that there had to be a spot for the transponder in there somewhere.

Thanks for the pic though... shows exactly where the transponder goes. I might order one of these blade keys now.
Glad it worked out for you. I really like this key. Small and you barely notice it in your pocket.

Correct, the one I bought had the transponder in it. I believe he bought from the same guy, but a different listing as the original no longer exists. The original listing did say transponder was included. I didn't really look at the new listing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it possible to just swap the keyblade and the transponder from your valet key to this one?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it possible to just swap the keyblade and the transponder from your valet key to this one?
Hello, yes to the transponder, but no to the key blade. The key blade that swings open is one piece unique to this key. You can get different places to cut it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I took the transponder out of my valet and put it in switchblade key with no issues...

·
Registered
127 Posts
What to do do if you have no valet key? My 2016 SV CC only has two regular keys?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
What to do do if you have no valet key? My 2016 SV CC only has two regular keys?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
2016? You should have received 2 main keys, 2 remote keyless fobs, and 1 valet key at the time of purchase. I'd go to the dealer you bought it from and ask for the valet key - you're supposed to get it, it's not optional.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just completed this mod and wanted to share my experience.

I ordered the key from the linked ebay listing found in this thread. I pulled out my transponder from the Valet key that was given to me when I bought the truck. Every single locksmith company wanted over a $100 to program/cut keys/touch the vehicle, so I skipped all of these businesses. I decided to give the dealership a call, to see what they could do for me. They said $52 to program everything.

When I got to the dealership, I explaied to them that they transponder inside of the key that I put into it from the valet key was already programmed. I explained to them that all I needed was to have the key cut...and to my surprise, they cut the key for free. All I had to do was provide proof of ownership. Took them about 10 minutes.

Once the key was cut, I referenced an article that shows how to programe the lock/unlock/panic remote buttons. Truck started perfectly and remote works great.

Glad I was able to get this done without to much of a headache.

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
Mine should be delivered any day now... ordered from the same link, when I did the Rogue key swap I went to a local ACE hardware store, they cut the new key for free, no questions asked. After reading other people's experiences trying to get the dealer to do it I didn't even bother, instead I was in and out of ACE in about 5 minutes tops.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts