Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2006 SE 4 wheel drive manual. It is a lovely truck that has been well maintained.
Next to the Cargo switch (LHS low of steering wheel) there is another small black "rocker" switch.
Then owners manual does not identify it. Could anyone tell me what it is for please?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
Can you post a picture? Is it a matching factory switch or aftermarket one?

Clint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20200324_133917.jpg

I have attached a picture as suggested (should have done it in the first place). It is the small black switch in the middle between the mirror switch and cargo lamp switch. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Typically that would be the hill-descent switch, if equipped. That is most assuredly not an OE Nissan switch and literally could be anything. Does anything turn on or light up when you activate it? Other than that, its down to follow the wires and see where it leads. Give 'em credit though, clean install, whatever it does.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Dude, you don't even want to know what the wiring in our 4 bedroom rental looks like. Nikola Tesla and Dr Jekyl had a kid, and they wired this place. It's insane.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
Maybe you want to move to a safer place. Bad plumbing may get you leaks or worse, bad wiring is a whole other disaster and as a 44 year contractor I’ve seen it all.

Clint

·
Registered
133 Posts
Maybe you want to move to a safer place. Bad plumbing may get you leaks or worse, bad wiring is a whole other disaster and as a 44 year contractor I’ve seen it all.

Clint
its like that episode of married w/ children where Al n the gang are trying to figure out a light switch and it controls a light in bucks dog house...lol

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
LOL Clint and MSS. The house has aluminium wiring so w/ the landlord's approval, I went around and switched out all the outlets w/ the proper bimetallic electrical adapters and copper pigtails, per code. The breaker panel got replaced too, it had ITE Pushmatic circuit breakers from the mid-1960s which are no longer code due to their hi failure rate to open during an overload condition. We should be pretty good now. They had no idea what was lurking in their electrical system. And actually MSS, what you've got there, is permissible by code.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Technically by current codes, all devices must be installed per manufacturer installation instructions and I've never seen one that said secure box by wrapping with electrical tape around a roof truss haha. Codes have been getting shorter and shorter the past few cycles because they basically say refer to manufacturer instructions now.

Also, I always call out aluminum wiring on 120v branch circuits, it's not so much the wiring but the connectors. Contractors would buy the aluminum wiring because it was cheaper then by the connectors meant for copper not aluminum because they were cheaper, make a huge mess when things start corroding and shorting out. Regarding the ITE panel and breakers, at least they weren't Federal Pacific Stab-loks or a Sylvania-Zinsco panel

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yeah, the Federals are notorious. Al Capone notorious LOL. I never use AL for anything house or industrial related. THHN is my friend. XHHW-2 if you really need.
CCA wire for low voltage DC is meh, ahhright, if sized up appropriately. Its no question cheaper right now.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm a home inspector so I see tons of crazy things almost on a daily basis. I found this in the attic at a inspection back in January. At least it's electrical tape right?
its sturdy if it's 88 tape..... LOL

·
Registered
133 Posts
Technically by current codes, all devices must be installed per manufacturer installation instructions and I've never seen one that said secure box by wrapping with electrical tape around a roof truss haha
flex tape or gorilla tape?lol---me n a friend yrs ago used 3m double sided tape to jury rig a string of lights in a crawl space b4---pmsl

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just purchased a 2006 SE 4 wheel drive manual. It is a lovely truck that has been well maintained.
Next to the Cargo switch (LHS low of steering wheel) there is another small black "rocker" switch.
Then owners manual does not identify it. Could anyone tell me what it is for please?

Thank you
It could be for Fog lambs,

·
Registered
324 Posts
Typically that would be the hill-descent switch, if equipped. That is most assuredly not an OE Nissan switch and literally could be anything. Does anything turn on or light up when you activate it? Other than that, its down to follow the wires and see where it leads. Give 'em credit though, clean install, whatever it does.
After market fog lights?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts