Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should freshly charged SwayAway 2.5 shocks rebound after being compressed when off the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Yes, but how high of pressure did you go to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but how high of pressure did you go to.

Apparently they were recently rebuilt. I can’t say for sure because I didn’t do it myself. I was told they were never charged. I charged them at 200 psi. I almost think it’s getting past the seal into the main body.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Oh yeah, that is plenty. Let me think about it awhile.
If you push in the shrader valve does air come out?

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
. The nitrogen is contained in the bottom of the reservoir. If it is leaking into the oil side it just maybe pushing the reservoir piston down. Which would keep the shaft from extending. Not sure if I am thinking right.
Just a guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. The nitrogen is contained in the bottom of the reservoir. If it is leaking into the oil side it just maybe pushing the reservoir piston down. Which would keep the shaft from extending. Not sure if I am thinking right.

Just a guess.

I’m starting to think it’s working properly. The charge basically keeps pressure on the oil. However I don’t think the charge would exert pressure on the piston. The piston is designed to move through the fluid. With fluid always in the high and low pressure sides.

Somebody please chime in if I’m wrong, but I’m going to run them.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
A fully charged shock should be fully extended when not on the truck. Even when most shocks are shipped, they are restrained partially compressed so that they are easier to install.
I have reservoir shocks on both my Frontier and my Dodge.
To install them,I release the nitrogen to allow me to compress them.
When measuring, designing my suspension on the Frontier, I had to release gas in the shocks and bumps to be able to flex to full compression.
Just does not make sense to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After talking with a few different shops, you’re right haha.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
After talking with a few different shops, you’re right haha.

One of the few times, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts