Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE VG33E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally figured out what I believe to be a clanking noise when making certain turns. Does anyone have any XP with changing them? If so, how difficult was it? At first glance they don't appear to be that difficult.

Thanks!
James

IMG_20200908_180807830.jpg
IMG_20200908_181029767.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
19 Posts
Haven't done it on these trucks, but I've done it on a couple of different vehicles. It's not much harder than it looks usually.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,565 Posts
It's a simple R&R. Yours look to be the single nut and bolt type which is threaded on one end only.
There are replacement sets that are threaded on both ends but either way, they're just as simple to install.
Go for links that have polyurethane bushings. They perform better than rubber. You should also replace the sway / stabilizer bar bushings while you're down there.

Be sure to grease the bushings when replacing them. Otherwise you'll soon be squeaking around unable to sneak up anywhere. 😂

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Haven't done it on these trucks, but I've done it on a couple of different vehicles. It's not much harder than it looks usually.
I concur. The only issue I've ever had, only once, is with the links that are threaded on both ends. Just need to remember to only finger tighten the link on the first side you install. That way there's movement in the sway bar to get the 2nd link in place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a simple R&R. Yours look to be the single nut and bolt type which is threaded on one end only.
There are replacement sets that are threaded on both ends but either way, they're just as simple to install.
Go for links that have polyurethane bushings. They perform better than rubber. You should also replace the sway / stabilizer bar bushings while you're down there.

Be sure to grease the bushings when replacing them. Otherwise you'll soon be squeaking around unable to sneak up anywhere. 😂
You're referring to these?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Can they be changed w/o lifting the front end? The sway bar link nuts look to be nyloc type - how tight do they have to be when putting the new ones on?
I know I don't have to lift my 2wd 1st Gen (very low clearance) to change out the bushings.

Looks like you wouldn't have to lift yours too.

Tighten until they're bulged. A little more than slightly and way less than squished.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I do turn the wheels to give me more comfortable access.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I don't have to lift my 2wd 1st Gen (very low clearance) to change out the bushings.

Looks like you wouldn't have to lift yours too.

Tighten until they're bulged. A little more than slightly and way less than squished.
I can change the oil easily enough without lifting it - wasn't sure if I'd need to lift it to replace the links to relieve pressure on the bar. Finally found the diagram in the service manual - it shows 12-16 ft lbs for the link bolt, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post a new picture when I'm done. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
What do you think of these 2 options? One of them is listed as heavy duty, which has a different kind of nut. It seems the dealership does not sell these in kits; rather, you have to buy each piece individually.

The description in the links says they're synthetic bushings. Are they polyurethane?

Since I would personally go with polys.... https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981223-xterra-and-frontier-front-sway-bar-end-links.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered these (see pic) by mistake one time but they worked out ok on my 2wd....until one broke.
Advance Auto carries that brand. I didn't really like that one at first glance.

As far as the swaybar bushings, NAPA is slightly higher than what the dealer is asking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts