Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Frontier 3.3L KC 4X4 MT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I way was looking at replacing the end links on front sway bar of a 2001 SE 4x4 and I'm not sure if the mounts on the lower control arms are in good condition. The mounting holes on the lower control arms for the end links are not perfectly round, I attached a pic in a pdf. The holes are uniform compared to each other but was assuming they should be perfectly round. If the pic doesn't work the holes are kinda skull shaped.

If the mounting holes are junk then am I faced with replacing the lower control arms for new mounts......or can a machine shop make new mounts? I've also been exploring the idea of just taking the sway bar off too. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
They can be repaired.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I can't tell much from the photo.It looks like the hole is elongated. Any decent fab shop , machine should be able to repair it. I would probabably bore it out and fabricate a bushing.
More photos would help.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
So I way was looking at replacing the end links on front sway bar of a 2001 SE 4x4 and I'm not sure if the mounts on the lower control arms are in good condition. The mounting holes on the lower control arms for the end links are not perfectly round, I attached a pic in a pdf. The holes are uniform compared to each other but was assuming they should be perfectly round. If the pic doesn't work the holes are kinda skull shaped.

If the mounting holes are junk then am I faced with replacing the lower control arms for new mounts......or can a machine shop make new mounts? I've also been exploring the idea of just taking the sway bar off too. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
one option is to have a welder burn on a washer or plate, or if you offroad, losing the swaybar will help the flex. I'd try the weight reduction first (sway remove) as its free...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't tell much from the photo.It looks like the hole is elongated. Any decent fab shop , machine should be able to repair it. I would probabably bore it out and fabricate a bushing.
More photos would help.[/Q

more pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Same as the original photo.
It looks like a bushing or insert . Is it just a hole In about a 1/8 thick piece of steel?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Looked up some photos of your lower control arm. Looks like just a a hole in a thin piece of steel that was dimpled .
The hole is definitely elongated.
You can do what mtyler11 suggested. That will work. A good fab shop can make and replace the bracket but it might not be cost effective.
Me, that is what I would do but I can the work myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all you advice. I already ordered new end links. Once they get here I'll see what type of fix I can fabricate.
The factor mounting hole is much larger then the end link bolt so maybe I can just use a larger steel bushing sleeve over the sleeve that comes with the end link bolt. Truck is not a daily driver; only used for camping, hunting, and hauling firewood/toys. So if if the suspension has a little sway it might be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts