Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The supercharged engine is in a 2004 Xterra SC (auto) with 120xxx km at my local junkyard. The belt on the supercharger has been cut, but is still in place. I have a feeling there is something wrong with the supercharger. There's a connector disconnected, a hose pulled off, a connector cut off, and a component seems to be missing. I spun the superchargers pully by hand and it wasn't silent. What is that connector that's been cut off? What's the missing component?

I want to put this engine in my 2004 Frontier XE. I have a manual transmission, but the Xterra is auto (to my knowledge the VG33ER was only mated to the auto trans from the factory). If I take this engine I assume I need the ECU as well. Does it matter that the ECU is from an auto?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
83 Posts
Edit: Don't worry about the stuff that's missing. You'll be using your stock engine harness and whatever may be missing is replaceable. Doesn't matter that the donor is auto.
__

Lots of info on this. And you're in luck, because I highly recommend swapping the supercharger parts onto your engine instead of pulling it out. Less work and your stock motor has higher compression so it should be peppier.

Feel free to take the whole SC engine if you can though. That's a nice asset just in case.

All the info you need is somewhere in my build thread. These three videos (not mine) are mandatory viewing. No, you don't need the longer throttle cable. Yes, you'll want the SC ECU.

Like I said, I recently did this swap in a weekend. Buy a coolant hose kit and an intake gasket set.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Well, if the supercharger is making noise when you turn it, it sounds like the supercharger wouldn't be worth putting on any engine! But if you do a supercharger swap, be advised you'll need to use premium gas from then on and your gas mileage will be worse than before. You'll need the fuel injectors, as well, although you'll probably be better off getting a set of reman injectors since those have probably been sitting awhile. Higher compression pistons will not make it "peppier." The compression difference between the two is only a little, but the dished pistons of the VG33ER allow more for more air into the cylinder (compared to NA pistons). More air + more fuel = more power...about 30-40 HP in the case of the VG33ER compared to the VG33E. A smaller diameter supercharger pulley will give you more than that, although you may need to a colder plug (usually a "7" heat range in NGK's).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edit: Don't worry about the stuff that's missing. You'll be using your stock engine harness and whatever may be missing is replaceable. Doesn't matter that the donor is auto.
__

Lots of info on this. And you're in luck, because I highly recommend swapping the supercharger parts onto your engine instead of pulling it out. Less work and your stock motor has higher compression so it should be peppier. (My engine is already pulled out, it seized on me.)

Feel free to take the whole SC engine if you can though. That's a nice asset just in case.

All the info you need is somewhere in my build thread. These three videos (not mine) are mandatory viewing. No, you don't need the longer throttle cable. Yes, you'll want the SC ECU.

Like I said, I recently did this swap in a weekend. Buy a coolant hose kit and an intake gasket set.
Thanks for this info! Nice build thread, I hadn't seen that one yet. Seeing the supercharger under your hood makes me want it even more🤤. I'm glad that things worked out for you!!

Well, if the supercharger is making noise when you turn it, it sounds like the supercharger wouldn't be worth putting on any engine! But if you do a supercharger swap, be advised you'll need to use premium gas (I don't mind premium fuel, I think it's worth it for the supercharger:p) from then on and your gas mileage will be worse than before. You'll need the fuel injectors, as well, although you'll probably be better off getting a set of reman injectors since those have probably been sitting awhile. Higher compression pistons will not make it "peppier." The compression difference between the two is only a little, but the dished pistons of the VG33ER allow more for more air into the cylinder (compared to NA pistons). More air + more fuel = more power...about 30-40 HP in the case of the VG33ER compared to the VG33E. A smaller diameter supercharger pulley will give you more than that, although you may need to a colder plug (usually a "7" heat range in NGK's).
That's an interesting point you make. I wonder what would actually perform better, VG33E pistons with higher compression, or VG33ER pistons allowing for more volume? Are the heads and cams the same in both engines?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for this info! Nice build thread, I hadn't seen that one yet. Seeing the supercharger under your hood makes me want it even more🤤. I'm glad that things worked out for you!!

That's an interesting point you make. I wonder what would actually perform better, VG33E pistons with higher compression, or VG33ER pistons allowing for more volume? Are the heads and cams the same in both engines?

Not to start an argument, but the supercharger will be what determines the volume of air that gets into each cylinder more than the piston being dished.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll save you lots of time: You would lose power because of the lower compression.

(For the record I don't know for sure what the actual compression difference is between the SC and NA engines - just repeating what I've read. Also makes sense that Nissan would use a lower compression piston with a boosted application for reliability porpoises.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts