Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so I know there's been a lot of questions about radiators and swapping fluids and such so hopefully this forum help. I currently work at nissan (not a technician but work with techs) and have talked to him about many problems with the radiators.

PROBLEM: Yes it does happen and yes it will ruin a transmission and a radiator. I've heard it usually doesn't take affect until 130k+ miles (don't hold me to that)

WHAT IT EFFECTS: From what I have been told the only vehicles that would have a possibility to swap fluids is ANY vehicle with the 4.0L V6. Any year with this motor has the issues of swapping fluids. So this means Pathfinders, Xterras, and Frontiers.

FIXING THE ISSUE: I've been told by a technician (28+ years with nissan for him) if you just replace the radiator with any other radiator you should not have any more problems with swapping fluids. What happens is the intercooler inside the radiator gives out and causes fluids to mix which costs us hella money. Radiators usually run about $100 bucks or so depending on what brand and all.

WILL NISSAN FIX THIS: Plain and simple no. If you buy a new Frontier or whatever with this and it happens withing ur 100k mile warranty ( or however many miles you have for a warrenty) then yes maybe. But as far as a recall goes no. The way nissan sees is as its not a SAFETY concern so no they will not fix the issue

BYPASSING: Yes you can bypass the transmission cooler fluid but it's not really good because if u want to go on a 3 hour trip and the asphalt your driving on is 110° and it's 95° outside yeah it b nice to have that going. But if you want to take that chance go right ahead.

I hope this thread kinda helps people adjust to the right perspective of swapping fluids on the 4.0L. If you have any questions feel free to comment below and ask them. Hope this helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Good info but I'll add:

-Most commonly affected years are 05-10 with 11+ very rarely having issues.

-If you do bypass, seriously, add an extra cooler. Speaking from personal experience.
The short version: no towing (have tow package with extra factory cooler), some wheeling, mostly regular driving, 2 drain and fills. Bypassed at 40k miles, cooked tranny at 83k miles. Shop said by bypassing I may have avoided the fluid mixing but in doing so during highway driving the trans was getting too hot and cooked the fluid and wiped out the clutch packs.

-Typically if you see the "strawberry milkshake" on the rad cap you are too late but a few have had luck bypassing and then flushing the trans fluid multiple times

-Repair is around $2500+ to fix the issue depending on the route you choose

1 - 2 of 2 Posts