Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a steal on a '16 center dash console that included the HVAC controls. This thing has two plugs -- has anyone attempted this or have any information I can start with?
P/N 27510-98K0A
Here are some pictures of the item I just got

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Not sure but think Type 2 has one more mode door & actuator in your HVAC box to control R-L temp leveles, so one side might default to closed with out power supplied to it, but shouldn't take more than a hour or so for you to find out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone have the schematics or know where to find them for the two-plug type? O know where I can find them?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I did and went based on the conversion thread on the interior section. For the year of your truck (05-08), those controls will not work, you will need one that looks like this one you have from the front, but from 09-12 models that has a single long connector. It is not a plug and play conversion, you will need to rewire and add the variable speed blower motor resistor, which needs to be wired in as well. Not an easy conversion, but well worth it. The center trim piece should bolt right in with no issues except probably cutting the lower middle tab on the back. By the way, if your truck does not have rear defrost, I have a/c controls that I didn't use, got them when I converted mine without noticing mine needed to have rear defrost:

Notice only the black square has pins for connector, white part is NOT used.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah. Thank you for the information. I've included some photos of my current setup, which I'm guessing does have rear defrost from the lines on the window? If not, I will certainly purchase that unit from you. I've read extensively on the conversion from the Type 2 to Type 1 with a single connector, and I already have the variable speed resistor on-hand. Just let me know from your experience if indeed that looks like rear defrost to you.

And if so, do I need the head unit with two defrost buttons on top as opposed to the spare one you're showing?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, you will need one with rear defrost. Here is what my conversion currently looks like:

Initially I had the middle piece painted silver to match the sides, that got boring quick, so I went back to flat black:

Originally this is what I had:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks fantastic. I'll be on the hunt for that control unit -- I may have some questions when I grab one -- Thanks again for your feedback and help!

·
Registered
499 Posts
That looks fantastic. I'll be on the hunt for that control unit -- I may have some questions when I grab one -- Thanks again for your feedback and help!
Yeah, I'll be glad to help, that write up here at CF worked for me on the rewire for the control unit, except when adding the variable speed blower, I used the Xterra's website for that part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'll be glad to help, that write up here at CF worked for me on the rewire for the control unit, except when adding the variable speed blower, I used the Xterra's website for that part.
>Hello there, I am stuck here too. Order of wires on blower motor resistor connector is a bit different from Sinister's, mine
>matches yours, how did you rewire it? So far I got the 09-12 a/c controls rewired and the new wire on the resistor connector that
>needs spliced on the blower motor white/green wire, I am confused on yellow and red since blue seems to stay in the same place.
>Help please!
>Nevermind, got it figured out, red wire is left unhooked.
Can you direct me to the info? My VSB wiring looks just like yours, but I am lost. I have re-pinned the 26 pin harness, but a few things I don't get: I don't exactly understand what you mean by 'new wire on the resistor connector that needs to be spliced on the blower motor white/green wire'.

Where exactly does the new wire go and where is the white/green wire?

What order do the wires end up on the VSB harness?

I guess the red wire on the harness just gets cut and left hanging?

Do you still splice the black/yellow wires together at the existing blower harness?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm so close :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
@heatmizuh both are correct, red wire is left hanging from the blower motor connector. That is the part of the write up here at CF that is not very clear, I kind of figured it out based on the Xterra write up, but even there it is not explained, looking at pictures on both sites you'll notice it is left unconnected. Black and Yellow go together. Blower wire is spliced into existing blower motor wire as in the picture below, note that in the image a thicker wire was added, I did the same thing, added a thicker wire:

By the way, did you add the extra pin into the 26-pin connector as in this picture?:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@heatmizuh both are correct, red wire is left hanging from the blower motor connector. That is the part of the write up here at CF that is not very clear, I kind of figured it out based on the Xterra write up, but even there it is not explained, looking at pictures on both sites you'll notice it is left unconnected. Black and Yellow go together. Blower wire is spliced into existing blower motor wire as in the picture below, note that in the image a thicker wire was added, I did the same thing, added a thicker wire:

By the way, did you add the extra pin into the 26-pin connector as in this picture?:

I found the Xterra write up, so I’m nearly done.
I had some confusion around if that pin should go into 5 or 26, but it makes more sense to go 26. I’ll report back when I have everything hooked up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Does that extra pin go to 24?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Does that extra pin go to 24?
If I remember correctly, that extra pin added goes to Light BLUE with Silver Stripe that ends at blower motor resistor connector (wire that you cut from white connector at the back old controls), like in the 2nd picture I posted above. Ends like this at VSB resistor:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey! Thanks for all the help. It’s working like a charm. Now I just have to put everything back together. :)
Nice, makes a world of a difference in the interior! At least for me it did, even before knowing of this upgrade for the years 05-08, I was very unhappy how the stock knobs looked, I even tried to see if I could replace the knobs with some better appealing to the eye, then my center trim piece broke at the upper tabs/parts, so I gathered the parts and did the conversion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice, makes a world of a difference in the interior! At least for me it did, even before knowing of this upgrade for the years 05-08, I was very unhappy how the stock knobs looked, I even tried to see if I could replace the knobs with some better appealing to the eye, then my center trim piece broke at the upper tabs/parts, so I gathered the parts and did the conversion.
It turned out fantastic! Thanks again! Heck, I even ‘blues’ out the airbag. Steering control wiring and leds are next.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts