Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 08 frontier that the motor had just 175bamp on. It has the 4.0 motor. I was wondering just how feasible it would be to do a swap with the vg33e. It's a 3.3 from a first gen xterra. I would love to keep the frontier and do a motor swap. The xterra is at the end of the line but the motor was well kept and maintained and only has 220000 miles on it. I ran my other xterra for close to if not over 350000 miles so i know it still has life. Any body with any advice would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So i have an 08 frontier that the motor had just 175bamp on. It has the 4.0 motor. I was wondering just how feasible it would be to do a swap with the vg33e. It's a 3.3 from a first gen xterra. I would love to keep the frontier and do a motor swap. The xterra is at the end of the line but the motor was well kept and maintained and only has 220000 miles on it. I ran my other xterra for close to if not over 350000 miles so i know it still has life. Any body with any advice would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance
Just siezed up on not 175bamp lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
Not practical. The D40/R50/N50 (Frontier/Pathfinder/Xterra '05+) was never made with that engine. I also expect the transmission bellhousing pattern to be wrong.

Given how prolific these trucks are, there's not a lot of reason to go to an engine from an older model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, i actually had nit given it Any thought but your right the trans may not be compatible at all... I was hopeful because I have that motor lying around so I hoped to put it to use. Any ideas for what would be the cheapest yet practical solution to getting the frontier back up? Its a work truck so no major off road application but it needs to still be rugged and reliable.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
It’s amazing what something free will make people consider doing. The amount of work to swap out an engine is quite a bit, a motor with all those miles is really pushing being worth half that effort. On top of that it’s like switching from gas heat and going to oil heat, it’s going backwards.

Clint

·
Registered
960 Posts
I would just find another 4.0 out of a junked Frontier, Xterra, or Pathfinder. For the Xterra '05-'15, for the Pathfinder '05-'12.

Pick a truck that has been in a rollover or other relatively serious auto accident. That will help confirm that the engine wasn't the primary reason the truck was junked. Or alternately go with a full-service junkyard that will actually start the engine for you prior to pulling it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts