Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Virgin Islands and almost 3 years ago I stupidly blew a rod in my 3.3 v6. I had a JDM engine shipped in to replace it and was in the process of doing so right before we suffered a direct hit from Hurricane Irma. I wrapped up the engine and poured oil into the cylinders and all over the block before the storm hit. After it had passed I found that the majority of a house had landed on the truck rendering it totalled and buried under debris. I had written it off as a complete loss after spending nearly 10k total on the truck and brand new parts. It was uncovered recently and I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 v6 crew cab model nearly identical to mine. However the engine is toast and it is 2wd. I'm wondering if it would be possible to transplant my engine, drive train, front axel and anything else nessasry into the 2wd model to make it 4wd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would check out the frame of the 4X4 if it is undamaged it would be easier to swap the body. If the frame is not usable I would start comparing the 2WD frame to the 4X4 frame checking for the mounting positions of the 4WD items. I'm going to assume that Nissan did not make a 2WD Frame and a 4WD frame, that would make the task at least a bolt-on project. You will also need to swap the rear axel or at least the gears to ensure everything would function correctly when the 4WD is engaged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this swap but used xterra 4x4 parts into a 2wd frontier. I did the tranny swap awhile ago from another frontier but the front end was shot. Everything from the xterra swapped right in. Front axle and rear axle. Only difference was the sensors in the rear axle. But everything else is identical. Mainly I went with the xterra stuff because it’s spring under in the rear. 2wd frontiers are spring under and 4x4 frontiers are spring over. Front axle swap took me one day only cuz I changed ball joints and went to the parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did this swap but used xterra 4x4 parts into a 2wd frontier. I did the tranny swap awhile ago from another frontier but the front end was shot. Everything from the xterra swapped right in. Front axle and rear axle. Only difference was the sensors in the rear axle. But everything else is identical. Mainly I went with the xterra stuff because it’s spring under in the rear. 2wd frontiers are spring under and 4x4 frontiers are spring over. Front axle swap took me one day only cuz I changed ball joints and went to the parts store.

What year and body style was the frontier and what year was the xterra? I have a 1998 Frontier single cab long bed, 2wd 2.4L 5speed. perhaps in the future would want a 4x4 swap. if everything swaps over like you say then it would be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What year and body style was the frontier and what year was the xterra? I have a 1998 Frontier single cab long bed, 2wd 2.4L 5speed. perhaps in the future would want a 4x4 swap. if everything swaps over like you say then it would be a piece of cake.
My frontier is a 2004 crew cab long bed v6 automatic, I used a 2004 Nissan Xterra v6 4x4 automatic. The xterra had a issue with the starter and was back dated. So I just used the parts from that. Rear drive shaft I had to get from a junkyard. I only used the xterra cause the rear axle is spring under. The 4x4 frontier is spring over. I didn’t want to cut and re weld the spring perches. And I got the xterra for free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My frontier is a 2004 crew cab long bed v6 automatic, I used a 2004 Nissan Xterra v6 4x4 automatic. The xterra had a issue with the starter and was back dated. So I just used the parts from that. Rear drive shaft I had to get from a junkyard. I only used the xterra cause the rear axle is spring under. The 4x4 frontier is spring over. I didn’t want to cut and re weld the spring perches. And I got the xterra for free.

Thank you! My frontier is also spring under axle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts