Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you get 5-6" of suspension lift? I've read alot of threads here and most people go body and suspension, but i've heard bad things about BL so I want to stay away from it. I'm also trying to stay away from spacers as well.

I'm kinda new to this whole lift thing (my previous vehicle was a lightly modded mazda protege) so I'm trying to figure everything out. From what i understand for the front you just change the suspension to coilovers or change the struts. But it seems like you can go only about 2-3" via that route. What options are there for getting 5-6" in the front?

and for the back I understand there are blocks, shackles and AAL. AAL seems like the best and i would think you could use that with shackles to get ~ 5-6" of lift in the rear?

Also theres that whole leveling kit and rake thing that i dont understand. So does the front and back need to be lifted the same amount to be level? or is there any advantages/disadvantages to one being higher or lower?

btw this is for a 06 NISMO KC, i only do light off-roading (to get to fishing spots) and its mostly for looks

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Calmini and Fabtech make suspension lifts in the size you want:
5" Suspension
Products > NISSAN 4WD > FRONTIER 2006-09 > 6" Systems

Some people update these with Radflos or similar for better performance. I'm not sure how much factory rake is on the Nismos; SE's sit about 1 inch lower in the front than the rear stock, so most people lift them about an inch higher in the front. I think the Nismo may have less rake than that; I'm sure someone on here can tell you how much (or you can measure your truck).

There is a suspension lift sticky in this forum:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/suspension-lifts-05-a-15966/
The sticky is a bit outdated; I am working on a more current version as we speak.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
they are going to search a-holes telling you to look around before posting, you should but

there are 2 lifts for the mall crawler crowd (ie lifted trucks that dont see dirt or rocks) Calmini and Fabtech. Calmini is the nicer of the 2 options and I would go that route to get s quick and reliable 5inchs of lift. if you want to use your truck and offroad. then a PRG products or Icon coil over lift and control arms is better suited for your needs.

just my .02 and I know nothing because I don't own a frontier any more and never offroaded one (just installed most of the lifts available for them and wheeled with a group of them for 3 years)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also forgot to say that my goal price is ~$1k (thats kinda why i left out the fabtech and calmini kit options) Also somehow i thought those don't give much ground clearance or something, but i could be wrong. I bottom out almost everywhere i go (but i guess driving path has alot to do with that problem)

also this xterra thread is way nicer that the one here (and i assume everything is pretty much the same)
2005+ Lift Options (Please Read) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It appears that you have done your research. You should look into the geometry of the front end. This is what is limiting the lift.

If you are 4wd, then you are severely limited on the total lift without having to throw down some money.

If you are 2wd, then you can use spindles but 4wd, that is a no-no as of now.

So, 2wd or 4wd?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears that you have done your research. You should look into the geometry of the front end. This is what is limiting the lift.

If you are 4wd, then you are severely limited on the total lift without having to throw down some money.

If you are 2wd, then you can use spindles but 4wd, that is a no-no as of now.

So, 2wd or 4wd?
4wd

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I believe the best you can do with a 4wd without a db lift is around 4-5" but that is with a lot of stuff. We are talking ucas, COs, Tswap w/ shafts and then you still need to limit the travel.

I have to ask, what is your final plan for your truck and what will it be used for? This will help everyone understand what you are doing and what products will get you there.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my goal look is this

i will go offroadingish maybe 1-2 times a month. I really need more ground clearance imo. I want to keep the stock rims and get better AT tires (most likely falken high country), not sure what size yet.

How bad is the ride w/ the BL?

i may just have to go w/ these i guess?
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/deluxe-suspension-package-p-5854.html
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/frontier-body-lift-p-5599.html

btw whats the difference between all the different suspension options on this page?
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/200...uspension-packages-c-435_437_201_587_157.html
is rancho any better than the bils? and i assume the bils are better than the ones already on the NISMO model? And why are the ones on the bottom more expensive?

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
To stay under $1k, a BL and 3" spacers and shackles for the rear. That's not including install if you can't do it yourself.

My advice is save your money until you can afford a nice lift. If you rush into something with a small amount of cash (not being a dick, but $1k is a small amount for a nice/useable lift) you will only be happy for a few months then you'll be looking at how to make it better. It happens all the time on here. Had I known better, I would have gone a different route and saved myself serious cash.

Oh and nevermind the comment made about Calmini only being for mall crawlers. Out of the box, yeah I'd tend to agree, but add some extra parts to it and it works great.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
310 Posts
Loss of ground clearance and strut spacers, but as Frontyfan said, you can add some bits like coilovers and AAL or full spring pack and youd be up about 6-7"

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Yep.

It's a drop bracket for starters, which means you will not gain any ground clearance from the lift. You will be putting a large coffee can like spacer ontop of your factory coils. Out of the box, they do not perform offroad, but if you are only going for looks, it works great.

If you are going for offroad performance you will need to add aftermarket extended length coilovers, aftermarket upper control arms and maybe an add a leaf to the rear to help it sit level

Basically drop another $2,000 into it for a total of $3000. Or just buy the PRG advanced coilover package for $1649 from the start, still be able to fit the same tire size as you could with Calmini kit, and have a very comfortable ride in a truck that has great offroad performance.

If light offroading as you put it, is only driving down an unimproved road then the Calmini kit will work for you just fine.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I did both the Calmini 5" DB and the PRG 2.5 coilovers and UCA's and I am happy with the end result, you're from HI so I'm guessing you want to go as high as possible ( not meant as an insult ) so I would just get it all and be done with it, I wish I would have ordered it all at the same time instead of putting the Calmini on and then having to wait 2 months to put the rest of it on. DO IT, DO IT, DO IT (I'm that little devil on your shoulder.)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so if i go with the calmini, i will gain no ground clearance at all?

I kinda thought the point of the lift was to gain ground clearance. like i said, i have bottomed out almost everytime i went anywhere that i had to use the 4wd, while my friends tacoma has no problems.

will there be more ground clearance if i go with the coilovers, struts, AAL and 2" BL i posted earlier?

sorry if some of these questions are dumb, all this truck stuff is really complicated to me

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Nope. I think I actually lost about an inch. But yes with coilovers you will gain it all back plus a little more and the ride quality improves. Not to mention the offroad capability too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since you are 4wd I would go with 3" up front with coilover, let say radflo. Then 3" in the back if you want to keep the rake with AAL and shackle. It's not what you're looking for as far as height but that definitely give you more ground clearance than what you have now. Then for another extra ground clearance, go for a larger tires, 33s should do. But all that would surely be over 1K. What part of HI you from? I wish I could say I'll help but I'm leaving for deployment next month.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since you are 4wd I would go with 3" up front with coilover, let say radflo. Then 3" in the back if you want to keep the rake with AAL and shackle. It's not what you're looking for as far as height but that definitely give you more ground clearance than what you have now. Then for another extra ground clearance, go for a larger tires, 33s should do. But all that would surely be over 1K. What part of HI you from? I wish I could say I'll help but I'm leaving for deployment next month.
whats that rake stuff? front is higher or back?

im getting tires seperate, 1k was just my budget for the lift

im from da big island

1 - 20 of 65 Posts