Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i am very new to nissans. I recently purchased my truck and was thinking about possibly lowering it. Do all 1st gen frontiers have the same basic suspension? I have seen little 2wd single cabs running around and was wondering if they are the same as mine underneath.

If so, would it be a crazy idea to get everything from a j/y to swap out?

thanks in advance, and if this should be in the street truck section please forgive me

·
Registered
297 Posts
Crew cabs are based off the 4wd suspension setup, but without the 4wd components. So you might could get 3 or 4 inches on stock suspension with blocks in the rear and cranking out the torsion bars, but if you want any lower that that you are going to have to fabricate or modify it yourself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats kinda what I figured. so is the normal 2wd set up control arms and coil springs?

·
Registered
297 Posts
thats kinda what I figured. so is the normal 2wd set up control arms and coil springs?
No coil springs. You have torsion bars in the front and leafs in the rear. You can add 2", 3", or 4" blocks in the rear and you can crank out the torsion bars for about 2 to 3 inches. The blocks are anywhere from $50 to $100 for good steel ones and adjusting the torsion bars is free. So 3"s of drop for around 100 bucks.

If you want to go lower you can always get bags, or go the way I am and doing a full coilover swap to get lower. These will cost you some $$$$$ though, especially if you dont fabricate it yourself and have someone else do it.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Don't forget to align too if you adjust the torsion bars.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would assume the lowest you could drop is 1.5" before the stock UCA's could keep the wheels at proper camber alignment just like you can only go up 1.5" before you get camber issues.

Shorter UCA's (custom) Im guessing would solve the problem but Im not sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

what is the set up on a normal small 2wd.

also, how bad is the ride with the torsion bars cranked down? wouldnt it be bouncie?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts