Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

I bought a first gen KC, 4 cyl, 2WD, 5-speed, 130k miles, did the standard things, oil change, rear end and tranny gear oil, air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, etc. and the front end was floating; let me add that I’m picky with my suspension! So I put on new shocks , Monroe, new tires , still, shocks again KYB, alignment and it still had the issue, not as bad but still…
The tire/alignment guy said maybe “cranking” the torsion bars would help. He did that, it lifted the front end, realigned and it helped a lot! So now the rear end is lower than the front, only an inch or two but still…

I have some questions,

1. How can I lift the back end, not much, just get it a little higher than the front? Helper spring? New leaf springs? Will the 4wd ones fit? Is that a good idea?

2. Did the torsion bars just get “tired”? Should I replace them? Will the 4WD ones fit? Is that an good idea? I’m planning on doing more front end stuff, control arms, ball joints

I am a long time hardbody/Frontier guy; my first new vehicle was an 87 hardbody that I rode to 157k miles and loved it until I went overseas.
Thanks in advance for any help and input!

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Torsion bars usually don't wear out. Technically, they can, just like any spring, but they usually last longer than the vehicle. Simply raising the torsion bars is not always a good idea. Nissan is pretty specific about the alignment on the front end of these vehicles, which involves measuring from the ground up to two different points on the control arm, subtracting to find the difference, and then comparing that value to specs to determine the proper ride height. 4x4Parts.com does have aftermarket torsion bars for about $200/set that have a 30% higher spring rate, which you might be interested in:

4x4 Parts - Frontier 2WD Torsion Bars SPST1446c - Your #1 Source for Nissan Aftermarket Parts!

This would, of course, require another wheel alignment. If you just want to raise the rear end, you could use blocks and longer U-bolts. Longer shackles would also work, but most usually don't recommend them. The best way to go would be to have a spring shop make a custom set of rear springs for your vehicle. If you are considering the aftermarket torsion bars, I would do that and have the alignment done to factory specs. If the rear still is lower, you likely have worn springs and may just need to go with a new set of stock rear springs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and more information

Thanks for the reply...

I found out the 4wd shocks will fit on the 2WD trucks! I also found some shocks with springs on Amazon for the back that the reviews will do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-519-2-Specialty-Assisted-Absorber/dp/B0012PT6QQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1480891643&sr=1-1&keywords=ACDelco+519-2+Specialty+Spring+Assisted+Shock+Absorber

BTW it appears these are the same shock as

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMA854/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15RBXSRYMPUUI&coliid=I2SIDJCYGYV423

My suspension guy is pretty good, he checked the alignment after raising the front end and I drove it and it's working well, much less bounce and what i call "floating", it's like the shocks are doing their job now whereas before they weren't.

I'm gonna try the new shocks, I'm not really looking for a big lift, just an inch or two in the back end now that the front is higher.

Thanks again.

RC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts