Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 CC. Over the last few weeks, I have been purchasing everything thing I need to upgrade my system online. Here's what I've got so far:

1. JVC AVX710 - $400 CAD locally on Craigslist
2. Crutchfield Dash kit with wire harness receiver & antennae adaptor - $45 USD
3. JVC Car KSPD100 iPod Connector (Amazon) $28 usd
4. JVC Car KSBTA200 Bluetooth Adapter (Amazon) $100

So, next thing to purchase was speakers. I decided to go listen to a few at a local car stereo dealer. The best sounding speakers I listened to were JBL GTO608C (component 6.5's) and JBL GTO 628's (6.5 2 ways). So, I asked the guy for his best price for the speakers and install and this is what he quoted:

$149 for the GTO628's
$279 for the GTO608C's
$125 for installation.

I looked around at the empty shop (no cars in the bay, no customers in the showroom. dead) and asked when they could be installed. "Tomorrow". So, in a moment of stupidity, I gave him my credit card. I thought that I might as well support my local dealer. They booked me and I looked in their book and it was completely empty!!! This place has been around for 20+ years!!

I came back the next day for the install, surfed the net on my Iphone in their showroom to kill time. The following 2 pages I browsed to almost made me puke:

JBL GTO628 Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com
JBL GTO608C Component Speakers - Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com

So, I'm like "dude. I'm not expecting you to match internet prices, I know you have significant overhead but holy **** - I am being fleeced here!" He tells me that he'll match any brick + mortar store. If he gave me internet prices, he'd get fired. So, I search and find Best Buy has the GTO 628's for $129 and he matches that. But the GTO608C's are no where to be found locally. I am about to ask for all my money back but look through the window into the bay and they have all my stock speakers already out. I was fuming but really more mad at myself than the crook behind the counter. So, I tell him, look I am not happy. What are you going to do for me?? He says that he already gave me $20 off. Previously, we were discussing them installing my double din and he quoted me $125 because I had not purchased it from them. So, I asked for a break on that. No way. What a prick.

The install was finished, they handed me the keys and I was expecting someone to walk me out there to have a listen to ensure I was satisfied. Nope. That's it. deal done. I got my speakers and they got their money.

SO....screw the dealers in my town. That is the LAST time I get fleeced for being a nice guy. They complain that they can hardly survive because of internet competition. The real problem is that they have had it way too good for way to long. The mindset of these guys has to be completely adjusted in order to survive.

thanks for reading my rant!:comphead:

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Yeah, that pretty much sucks dude.
Bet you won't forget to price around next time.
It's buyer beware, always remember that.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I have ran into the same situation but with pool supplies. Any kind of accessories are always cheaper online (this includes the price of shipping) then buying it at pinch-a-penny or leslies or whatever. I price everything online first and then decide if it is worth the extra cost to have it now instead of later. I just hate that places don't realize this and work with you on it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not the most experienced stereo installer but the few I have done on the side no way is it a 125 dollar job I did my head unit and front and rear speakers myself in 2 hours profesionally for side jobs I do like 50 and you get the parts anywhere you want

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$125 to install a head unit....if only i could do them all day long!
ya - no doubt. I don't get these guys. And he made a point of saying "plus tax!" I guess they don't want to do installs and prefer to sit out in the parking lot on their asses. All they need is one sucker like me to come in every day and at least the bills will get paid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's crazy. I worked at Circuit City as an installer for awhile, before they closed, and those prices weren't even that high. You should have also got a install quote from Best Buy along with the price of the speakers. I bet they would have matched that also. Here ya go, this might make you even sicker.

Geek Squad® - Car Deck Installation - DECK INSTALL

I guess they are like DDAM, a local advertisement for Moore Buick. Talk about a rip off. Sorry they ran you though the mud man.
:thatswck:

·
Registered
890 Posts
geek squad charges 100 for an "indash" screen cdplayer, and 200 if it has navi and bluetooth and all that, speakers installed (components 89) (coax 69), but we do have a "buy a deck and speakers and installation get 100$ off"... but we never discount labor, and labor isnt taxed

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
you live, you learn.

i paid for my first head unit install many many years ago. watched a guy go to town with screwdriver and a pair of crimps and was done in under an hour. only cost me $50 tho.

from then on i realized its not that hard at all. the first time youll spend a lot of time with your nose in the owners manual, but after that its all easy.

and as far as pricing, i always buy online. my local shop used to get my business. a couple thousand actually before i realized i didnt get any extra discount for repeat business or referrals. i calmly told the owner one day while trying to buy a large amp that i can get it online all day for $900, or he wants $1200. he wouldnt budge, so i made it a point to come back a week later and show him my brand new $900 amp, and that it was a pleasure doing business with him in the past.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
damn, all these years and i have been under charging. i only charged $50 if i didnt know you and $35 if i did(you pay for the parts that i tell you to get IE i would not cut the factory harness). installing a deck in these trucks is a 30 min job. speakers are a little longer but damn.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
...cheaper online (this includes the price of shipping) then buying it at pinch-a-penny or leslies or whatever..
^I price things in-store and then check the stores' site... sometimes it's up to 25% cheaper!. do the customer pick-up and save S/H too! :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
gotta keep in mind that these stores are not just paying a couple people to sit around fingerbangin a computer, sorry if this sounds bad but i know i get really pissed off when some dude comes in to my store lets me show him a bunch of stuff, he gets educated by me or my sales guys, then says well... im gonna buy em online from some warehouse store, they are way cheaper... of corse they are! they dont pay associates to help you get what you need they just sell you what you order... now i know a lot of places you go dont have associates that know their dick from their *** but there is something to be said for the guy that helped you find what you need.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
IF you know how to get the dash apart and have the wire harness adapter ready to go, a HU install can go quite quickly. I put a factory radio in a company vehicle for a coworker the other afternoon in ~15 minutes, presets set and all.

I use Crutchfield.com and SonicElectronix.com for all my purchases and install it myself.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
While I don't support a local dealer that screws people over, there is something to be said for a local shop. If it is truly a good local store you have someone to go to for questions, issues or repairs. My local store (Pflanz Electronics) takes damn good care of me because I do buy a lot of stuff there and refer a lot of people. Have I gone elsewhere, absolutely, but only after giving them a fair shot at giving me an acceptable price. Also the money you spend in your community supports the local economy (pretty important nowadays). I'm not saying never use the internet, but if it's down to saving $10 on a pair of speakers off of amazon.com or buying locally, I'll spend the $10 here.
Oh and the internet will basically give you an automatic 15% price advantage because they have little to no overhead. And unless you pay the use tax in your state for internet purchases (which you are supposed to do) you rob your home state of sales tax revenue. I'm not for taxes, but why send your money somewhere else if you don't need to?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would NEVER do that. When I walk into a store, I have full intention on giving them the first shot at the sale - especially if they treat me with respect and not like a dummy. I am totally prepared to pay more, because I do consider the costs of running a brick+mortar store. But I am NEVER going to pay MSRP on anything. I am would offer to split the difference between the avg online price and MSRP with the store. The convenience of getting it immed from a store that will stand by the product means a great deal to me.

The thing is too, is that I am in sales myself. So, I feel for the guy trying to sell me gear - I am rooting for him really because I know what it's like. So, treat me well and I will buy.

gotta keep in mind that these stores are not just paying a couple people to sit around fingerbangin a computer, sorry if this sounds bad but i know i get really pissed off when some dude comes in to my store lets me show him a bunch of stuff, he gets educated by me or my sales guys, then says well... im gonna buy em online from some warehouse store, they are way cheaper... of corse they are! they dont pay associates to help you get what you need they just sell you what you order... now i know a lot of places you go dont have associates that know their dick from their *** but there is something to be said for the guy that helped you find what you need.

·
Registered
370 Posts
in my last truck i had a ton of audio stuff stolen. insurance covered it all to the tune of $3700 and even paid to have the new stuff installed. took it to local stereo shop not circuit city or best buy. dropped off truck was told to come back in 2 days for finished product. went back 2 days later truck not ready. took 5 days to complete. guy who did install gave me keys said he had never heard 8" kickers before and walked away. confused i got in truck and drove away. speakers sounded like sh!t. this moron had wires crossed duct taped and exposed. called insurance company told them what happened told them i could do better job they stopped payment on check and issued me one so i could it myself.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
thanks to the folks here on CF and crutchfield, i installed my HU, speakers, sirius satellite tuner (with antenna mounted above rear brake light), power distribution block, 4 channel amp and subwoofer. prior to this, i only changed the factory HU on a prior vehicle. after seeing for myself how relatively painless this is, just takes patience to get everything wired correctly, i dont see myself paying a shop to install a stereo in the future.

·
Registered
890 Posts
in my last truck i had a ton of audio stuff stolen. insurance covered it all to the tune of $3700 and even paid to have the new stuff installed. took it to local stereo shop not circuit city or best buy. dropped off truck was told to come back in 2 days for finished product. went back 2 days later truck not ready. took 5 days to complete. guy who did install gave me keys said he had never heard 8" kickers before and walked away. confused i got in truck and drove away. speakers sounded like sh!t. this moron had wires crossed duct taped and exposed. called insurance company told them what happened told them i could do better job they stopped payment on check and issued me one so i could it myself.
i would be cautious of small mom n pop type shops, a lot of time even a decent shop might have an installer that just doesnt feel like doin ****. the fact that it took that long is horrible, me and one other guy could havethat job done in bout 3-5 hours depending on exactly what it is. Go somewhere with a good name, or a corporate place that has corporate liability and warranty on install

1 - 20 of 20 Posts