Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to repair a part that was plastic and metal. I put ordinary liquid superglue on it - an hour later the glue was still wet (I put too much glue). If this happens to you, get half a teaspoon of ordinary baking soda and sprinkle it on the area you glued. Where the superglue and baking soda touch each other, it will cure and solidify nearly instantly.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,021 Posts
wow. i never heard of that. thats something to know

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use CA super glue all the time and i use a spray can accelerator.. spray it on one part.. glue on the other and it is instant curing.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use CA super glue all the time and i use a spray can accelerator.. spray it on one part.. glue on the other and it is instant curing.
If you haven't tried the baking soda trick you should. It allows the normal movement process where you can correct alignment errors by sliding it around a bit , and then just a few bits of baking soda causes a chemical reaction and boom it's done.it can even just touch the edge. Your spray might work the same too.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,021 Posts
Good tip.
Always keep super Glue handy, great for closing cuts as well.
when you go to the emergency room, they won't use super glue on parts that move or are not easily staying together. my son got hit in the face with a surf board fin, while surfing, and the er nurse said no because it was right where the nostril meets the cheek and it moves to much so it could pull apart very easily.

·
Registered
757 Posts
For the layfolks, CA is cyanoacrylate, which is the base for most super glues on the market.

I also use CA glue and accelerator when necessary. Left overs from my days racing R/C cars.

In my opinion, CA glue works good for gluing together porous materials like wood or foam (with foam-safe CA), or one porous material to a non-porous material, like rubber R/C car tires to plastic wheels.

When gluing a non-porous material to another non-porous material, like a broken piece of plastic to itself, the glue bond is usually too brittle.

Aside from plastic welding, I've had better luck using Gorilla Glue on materials like ABS plastic. I successfully repaired some broken screw standoffs and retaining clips on a laptop by using Gorilla Glue.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am also a fan of the accelerant most often i use it with wood working applications. I have not used it regularly for repairing plastic unless a replacement was not applicable or it was emergent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For any guitar players out there, it also works will when you screw up and file the slots in the nut too low. A little super glue and baking soda in the slot and it's hard as bone. File away again . . . but more carefully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts