Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read conflicting arguments about all of these 3.

The bottom line is that all of them improve MPG by around 1-2 and improve performance by between 10-20 HP (this depends on what RPM/gear, and driving style).

Cost-wise, from most to least expensive
1. Bully Dog: Triple Dog GT ($370)
2. Hypertech Max Energy ($330)
3. Superchips Cortex ($300)

How long they have been around (newer on top)
1. Bully Dog (just out in September 2009)
2. Hypertech
3. Superchips (really old...people complement them on great support)

Reported MPG gains:
1. Bully Dog (2+... this is due to driving coach perhaps)
2. Hypertech +1-2
2. Superchips +1-2

Performance increase reports:

All of them do very similar programing, but tune the engine differently.

I've heard the Superchips is very neutral. It gives a boost, but nothing spectacular. I read Hypertech will give a more aggressive feel to a frontier, which is preferable over Superchips, but very close (nothing too spectacular). Both are identical with higher octane gas. Also, both seem to be limited by spinning wheels (can't this be dangerous?, btw...).

Bully Dog is really new and there isn't enough data to support it other than that is specifically designed for trucks. It has many features that can be switched on the fly (economy, performance, tow) and includes a status monitor that is mounted on the windshield. The worst I've heard is that it very custom and maybe it's performance tuning isn't as good as the other 2 popular brands, which have proven increases; though I do see Triple Dog GT out preform all others in videos.

What do yall think??? I should buy a Triple Dog GT?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
they are all the same. they each do the same thing, same power basicly. they bully dog is nice because it can be mounted and act as a gauge and the shift on the fly option. I run superchips because it was the first one out. On a stock truck it don't do much but on mine it was the last piece of a puzzle and finished off a bolt on NA motor build.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have the BD GT and have been happy with it, performance increased and mileage increased with no additional mods as of yet (exhaust & intake). The BD has 2 tunes, 87 and 93, I have tried both and there is a big difference over stock and between the 2. You CAN change idle RPM and timing advance on the fly (while driving) however you CANNOT change Tunes, WOT, Rev Limiter or Speed Limiter without shutting down and re-programming. This is not a big deal and takes very little time. The monitoring portion of the unit is very customizable in the fact that you can change to what you want to see on the screen, ie. economy, speed, RPM, AF, etc. Even without the driving coach set up it still monitors driving habits and tells you if you are braking too hard, speeding up too fast, how much energy wasted. Screen looks good, very intuitive, and easy to use. I personally cant complain about it at all, It does what it says it will do and when I first go it I had to call tech to have them email me the update (didn't play well with win7 or vista 64 bit) and he was great, walked me through what the problem was and had it ready to go in minutes. One note here is that it uses a Micro SD card to store everything so you don't have to install the BD updater, the tune is just a zip file that you can extract to the card, makes it nice for the Mac guys that can't install the updater.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like my Hypertech a lot and would recommend to anybody. It can also read and clear DTCs which is a nice feature (the others may too, I dunno). Definitely the most "seat-of-the-pants punch" mod I've done so far.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After doing some research, I found that Bully Dog seems to do less for Frontiers/Titans than other trucks.

For example, Hypertech optimizes shift points, but Bully Dog does not.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Just an FYI, our transmission has its own controller so a programmer won't do anything unless they make a new adapter for it.

If you are looking for MPG, then go Superchips since it costs the least which will help you recoup the original cost of the programmer.

If you are going for max performance, then skip the handhelds and go UpRev, the only real custom tuner out there.

Lastly, if you want firmer shifts, then go TransGo or Level10 or if you feel like spending a bit of money, IPT.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just an FYI, our transmission has its own controller so a programmer won't do anything unless they make a new adapter for it.
Just gonna say that, Here is what the Hypertech will do, same as the others.

Adjustable Features

* Top Speed Limiter 81, 87, 93, 99, 106, 112 & 118 MPH
* Rev Limit -500 to 0 RPM
* 0-60 MPH Restriction
* DTCs Read and Clear
* Return Back To Stock
* Internet Updateable

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cost-wise, from most to least expensive
1. Bully Dog: Triple Dog GT ($370)
2. Hypertech Max Energy ($330)
3. Superchips Cortex ($300)
Link with Cortex at $300? The Hypertech was cheapest when I bought mine, I found it for $319 w/ free shipping on eBay.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

If you are looking for MPG, then go Superchips since it costs the least which will help you recoup the original cost of the programmer.

If you are going for max performance, then skip the handhelds and go UpRev, the only real custom tuner out there.

Lastly, if you want firmer shifts, then go TransGo or Level10 or if you feel like spending a bit of money, IPT.
Sorry, you are right.

All tuners have almost the same features (all that are available for the frontier, which seems to be more limited than other cars...)

Link with Cortex at $300? The Hypertech was cheapest when I bought mine, I found it for $319 w/ free shipping on eBay.
Autozone

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Love my Hypertech and highly recommend it. Made a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Don't forget the Unchip PNP option coming in at $525

"Add's up to 20hp & 20ft-lb"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A plus is Superchips offers a 2 year powertrain warranty if you buy their tuner.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Can't speak of the other tuners but I have the SC Cortex and it has made a big difference on my truck, especially since it's 6 speed/manual.

Best to date 0-60mph run was 6.76 seconds, not bad for a 4500lb, V6, 4x4 truck.

I also have a custom exhaust and a Volant CAI.
With these additions I probably picked back up the drivetrain loss putting HP somewhere around 260 at the wheels (guessing here, never dynoed the truck).

I think it's safe to say that all of the programmers are really similar and that you would be pleased with any of them.

Superchips for me because they were the first ones out of the gate.
I've been extremely happy with the Cortex unit itself and Superchips support.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After more research, I am wanting the Bully Dog.

All of them are essentially the same, but the Bully Dog's monitor and driving coach seems to be the selling point.

·
Registered
127 Posts
quick question.....i was under the impression that the bullydog gt did not have a trans temp monitor.

called bullydog and they said it does, is that right?

also how hight can you adjust the top speed?

·
Registered
874 Posts
quick question.....i was under the impression that the bullydog gt did not have a trans temp monitor.

called bullydog and they said it does, is that right?

also how hight can you adjust the top speed?
I never saw a trans temp on mine, but now I have to look!

You can adjust the top speed to a lot faster than our trucks will ever go and much faster then I would ever want to go in this thing. Actually speed is way high but you have to flash to get to that setting, I believe.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the Bully Dog GT and the max speed is 160 or 180. I forget which one. It does have a trans temp monitor along with many other things. I love mine. Worth every penny!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts