Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked all over for a thread on a supercharger install...

Maybe I'm just really bad at the interweb research... I dunno.... :comphead:

Anyways, is there a thread on this? Is it worth the time/money to do put a supercharger on my motor? What else needs to be done when you do this? What extra wear and tear do superchargers put on a 100k motor?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
at least you have a factory supercharge options.
So, is it just a simple bolt-on ish solution? I mean, I know there's gotta be a pulley somewhere.. where? and I'm sure that it's gotta breath from somewhere..

Maybe a good shot of someone's engine bay with a supercharger on it would help me understand a little more about what's going on here....

What was that someone said about modding being addictive?!?

All I have done is the airbox mod, and I can't stop thinking and planning/re-planning my next moves on this thing!!!

Unfortunately, the financial house isn't looking as good this year.. but next year... !!!

I'm not trying to get too excited yet, but something big is brewing up for next year! I'll DEF keep ya'll in the loop on that news!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
An engine swap!?!?! Really?! If it's all that, then it's gonna be a no go...

So, I have to get a new ECU as well? That seems crazy! Are there extra connectors that aren't there on the other ECU? What else so I need to know?

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm tryin' to learn here!

Maybe I should just go learn to be a Nissan Tech....

·
Registered
475 Posts
i put a s/c on my 3.3. theres a link in my sig. honestly if i could go back and do it again i would spend time finding an s/c engine and swapping it. for me it just was very intensive on finding all the parts i needed, because some of the parts you need are not made anymore and are EXTREMELY hard to find. i had to have the nissan factory cast me a brand new tube that goes from the thro. bod. to the s/c. very frustrating process. plus i have to run 93 oct fuel cause i didnt swap to forged pistons or id get kknock. AND youre not guaranteed 100% satisfaction apparently, because right now im runnin a factory setup minus pistons and plus a 2.3 in. pulley instead of the stock 2.65 and im only getting around 3 psi. in winter im a lil over 3 and summer im a lil under 3. pisses me off. bottom line... DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO THE ENGINE SWAP!!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Dude your talking about an advanced mod. If you have to ask.... you shouldnt do it on your own. If you paid someone to do it...with parts, prolly $2500. at a min.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dern. Dashed hopes. Shattered dreams....

Looks like I'll be doing research on an engine swap.... when the time comes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
oh and i dont have a good ecu. the link is in my build thread and right now i probably have about $3000 in just that project but i didnt use about $500 of the stuff so ya about $2500. Jordo gets a sticker. haha

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude your talking about an advanced mod. If you have to ask.... you shouldnt do it on your own.
Yeah.. There's not much I'm going to be doing on my own. Just the basics. I'm no mechanic. No where near one. I work on robots. Can fix my pissed off little robots all day long... but cars/trucks, whole different ball game....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you just search for crate motors? You think a re-built would be safe?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would rather have it cost more in the beginning and know things were good, then to have something blow up in my face later.

If I go to a junk yard, I guess I'll be bringing a gear-head buddy along... Any tips on what to look for?

I thought the ECU was in the cab of the truck? So, it's actually part of the motor?

I just think a SC'ed Desert Runner would be way cool!

I'll be getting TOTM for sure once I'm all done with this thing! (even if it does take five years!)

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
converting from naturally aspirated to a factory supercharger is about as big of a pain as just swapping in a supercharged motor. not worth it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The vq35 can be shoe-horned in there so the VQ40 could fit but you may have to do a little metal work for extra clearance.

If you are going to swap in an OEM supercharger, it probably isn't worth the cost since you are paying someone to do the work for you. Yes you will get more HP but how much more? I thought it was something like 35hp. Yes you will get more TQ and it will be a constant but still, how much more and do you need it? If you want to do it right, then have someone just built you a block with a supercharger and use a standalone or z32 ecu and have it tuned correctly.

It always costs money to play so plan it out and spend wisely. You don't want to spend money on something that you will just replace soon afterwards for something better, ie don't drop in an OEM supercharged motor when you can built an even better one for the same or cheaper.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts