Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 frontier with the supercharger that has been making noise, I did have the knock sensor problem but I relocated it. The truck today just died while sitting a a light, I was able to restart it but it died again after about 1/2 mile and would not run until it cooled down from a normal temperature and only runs for about 1 minute then dies. The supercharger makes a knocking/grinding noise. I just bought this truck about 1.5 months ago. The timing belt and water pump was replaced just before I bought it. I have replaced all the idler pulleys, alternator, dust cap, plugs & wires. My question is will the supercharger keep the motor from running at all? Or do I need to look for something else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thing is my gas mileage stinks at around 12 mpg. The throttle response stinks when it was running for more than a minute or two it was like it was gasping for air before it started to accelerate.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,372 Posts
Is the SES/CEL illuminated? Pull the codes if yes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This morning I started the engine it ran normal for about 2 minutes and once the motor started to warm up just a little the supercharger started making a clunking noise and a heavy smell of fuel. The vacuum bypass valve on the SC was in the up position when it was running. There is signs of a oil leak on the front seal (pulley) on the SC and last week I did top off the SC oil with some A/C Delco supercharger oil. I am just trying to figure out exactly what it could be before I shell out $1400 for a new supercharger since I don't have the tools to rebuild mine (lack of a press).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the supercharger and saw that the coating was coming off plus the coupler has some flex because I can turn the pulley about a 1/8 of a turn before the rotors start to turn.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The 12 MPG isn't uncommon for the VG33ER-powered Nissan trucks; I get 12-13 MPG combined (premium fuel) on my 2003 Frontier SVE KC AT 4x4. If you do a little searching, you can find rebuilt superchargers for these engines around $800. You don't want to run the supercharger with it knocking because if it "grenades," debris could get into the combustion chambers. As far as the stalling issue when hot, that sounds like a failing distributor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts