Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to drive 50+ miles to work each day and 90% of that is interstate. Now I try to be careful and not drive behind dump trucks but that's pretty much an impossibility here in southwest Florida (construction capital right now). Anyway I was looking over my 6 day old truck this morning and noticed quite a few stone chips on the leading edge of the hood. Now my truck has the Super Black paint and I can't for the life of me figure out why they would use a white base coat on the truck, every little nick and scratch is wildly obvious.

Onto my question, what have you guys done to avoid stone chips?? I'm thinking about either a Bug Guard or the 3M protection film. Also what is the best way to fix the chips?? Just use a little touch up paint or is there something better out there ??

Thanks for any help you can give me........

Roy

·
Banned
410 Posts
yup i had that problem with my ranger. black looks soo good untill things like that happen lol. last black truck ill ever have. i went oposite with the fronty and got silver. its scratched to hell and u cant even tell lol.

·
Banned
410 Posts
oh forgot to tell you some fixes haha my bad.

i think a white base coat in standard, the ford was that way too. noww you can get touch up paint and fix then a little bit. a bug guard isnt going to help that much, maybe a little bit.

the protective film is a pretty good idea but i just said what the hell its a truck its going to happen.

now the best fix. rhino line your whole truck!!! lol. it will be a tank, it looks cool as hell, and its black and it wont scratch. and if u want you can paint the rhino lining and then its even easier to touch up.

im doing it to my fronty, but it will stay silver. its deff a cool effect.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If it is on the leading edge of your hood the bug deflector will help that. I have one
up close to the windshield and even the 3M film will not help that. I also have one
on the passenger side w/s post and the 3M film will not help there.

I have other chips where the 3M film will help, but it costs about $500 to do the complete
kit and that is not in my budget until later in the year, after taxes and insurance are
all paid. By then I'll probably need a paint job.

OkieScot

·
Registered
460 Posts
I got a touch up pen from the dealership called the "Stick". On one end it is the black paint and on the other end it is clear coat. I think I have almost painted the whole truck now with it. In regards to a hood protector, I have one installed but still get chips on the mid section and edge closes to the windshield. I feel your pain. Maybe with enough complaints Nissan will change there paint methods or make a more durable paint.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just fixed a chip on my super black frontier...basically, I used nissan touch up paint...filled it...then use Langka...Came out pretty well, although you can still slightly see the touchup, it's better than if you just used touch up paint by itself. I could probably do another chip much better since I got some practice in. I was a bit nervous it would scratch/remove the surrounding paint, but it didn't. I'm thinking about investing in a hood guard soon...I want one that wraps the corners though, not like the nissan one.

Link: http://www.langka.com/

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll look into that langka deal. I was also quoted $400 to do the 3M film. It was $300 for the hood and from bumper and an extra $100 for the head lights. That was by www.ultrashieldusa.com Their world headquarters are just down the street from me.

Roy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts