Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm finding it harder and harder to find good deals on 15" tires for my 2004 4x4 Quad Cab. No sooner than I get a store card for "big savings" and then they discontinue tires that'll fit, or they never go on sale. Is there a larger rim/tire size combo that I could move up to without having to "mod" anything that would be easier to find when I need new tires? I'm not a modder, just getting tired of not being able to find these old tire sizes.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rim diametre are not a factor in fitment. If you keep the same backspace (or offset) and the same rim width, you can play with diameter. If you would want to downsize, you would have to check for clearence with the brake caliper. As you want to upsize, nothing would interfere as you basicaly changing ruber for metal. You would have to check for overall diameter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I'm not really a wheel knowledgeable kinda guy, any ideas of wheels that have been successfully up-sized on a Gen1 Frontier that I could look for?

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could find oem wheel 16'' wheels or I believe tacoma wheel will work as well. You need 6 lugs on a 5.5'' bolt patter ( 6x5.5 or 6x139.7 ) if i am not mistaken. You will also need a 100mm hub diameter. Wheels need to be lugs centric. I dont know what is the original offset... Look for junkyard

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can fit 16's from the SE or 17's from SC model. At the U Pull It type junkyards you can pick up wheels for $25 a piece. Frontier and Xterra use the same wheels and getting the 16's or 17's from one them will be your best bet unless you go aftermarket. They'll be a direct fit, have the correct offset, and you're done

If you didn't have 4x4 you could get 17, 18, and 20'' wheels from the NIssan Titan/Armada. You can find brand new full sets with brand new tires on ebay for around $800-1000. They have the same lug pattern but smaller center bore. A machine shop can take a little off the back of the wheel where the bore is and they fit perfectly. Plenty of people have done this.

But just like you, I have the 4x4 and the 4x4 hubs on our trucks make it pretty much impossible bc a machine shop has to go all the way thru the wheel and it compromises the lug holes. I was so pissed when i realized i couldn't go that route when looking for bigger wheels last summer.

Wheels from the Colorado and Canyon are said to work. They have the same center bore size and lug pattern. But then you'll have a Chevy or GMC logo on the center cap unless you toss them.

At Wheel-Size.Com you can search by rim size and it'll show you all other cars that run the same size center bore and lug pattern

Heres a screenshot of the results for 17's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info, guys, I was wondering about the SC, as one site that I was searching for tires on listed a 265/70R16 tire for those so I thought it was a misprint. I'll check around for some of those :)

Jeff

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, You're much more likely to find the 16's bc the 17's where pretty much for the SC only and the even rarer LE. Also depends on how popular the Xterra was where you're at. Finding a 1st Gen Frontier is almost like finding a Unicorn but Xterras are plentiful where i'm at here in Texas. Every junkyard i've been to in South Texas usually has 5-10 on hand

Here's your complete list of direct matches. A list of every sub model of the Frontier with their rim and tire sizes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, I just checked and a set of Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT's in that size at JustTires and they're less than $550 for a set of 4 with their store card (double rebates) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts